Should I be concerned about the shape of my belly button and how red my scars are? (Photo)

I am 3 months post tummy tuck. I am not happy with the way my belly button looks. Why are some scars hidden inside the belly button and others are not? It is possible to do a revision and conceal the scar inside the belly button? Also, my scars are getting more red and wider now at 3 months than they were at 4-6 weeks. The scars are flat and smooth but very red. Also, just above my vertical scar it is still very puffy. Could this still be swelling, residual fat or muscle separation?

Scars/Swelling

After your #abdominoplasty, #swelling will persist for three months, six months, up to a year.  Your #Scar will also improve in appearance over the course of a year.  Some redness is normal.

If you are concerned with the appearance of your scars, please contact your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon to discuss your options for revision.

Too early to judge outcome

The scars will fade over the next 4 years!!  It is much too early to judge the outcome.  You have an excellent outcome at this point.  Use scar care products to accelerate the fading.

Scarring

For a scar to completely fade, flatten and turn into a fine white line can take 9-12 months. This is a slow process, be patient with your recovery. Best wishes.

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #realself #tummytuck #scarring 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Looks very acceptable to me. But you are the patient so discuss with your surgeon scar remedy options.

Scar appearance after surgery

Healing in the human body is a complex, dynamic process that can usually take up to a year to finally stabilize.  During that time, scars frequently undergo considerable changes in texture, color, and thickness.  It is important to be patient during this time and understand that it may be a year post-op before scars mature and reach their final appearance.  During the healing process, a multitude of scar treatment options are available, which may help guide the healing process towards a more aesthetically pleasing outcome.  In my practice I have found great results with topical silicone products, which are widely available.  There are also lasers which may improve redness.  Speak with your plastic surgeon about what scar treatments are recommended and when the proper time would be to use them.
Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Thank you for sharing your photographs and questions.  At three months your scars do have a while to go before lightening in color but should continue to improve for upwards of a full year from the date of surgery.  It is important during this time to follow good scar treatment including moisturizer and sunblock protection.  I would speak to your surgeon about your concerns so that they can follow your incision progress along and make recommendations as needed.  As far as any revisions, you may be able to revise your belly button but allow at least 6-12 months to pass before doing so as you will see improvement in its appearance and may feel differently once healed.  On an in-person exam one could determine the puffy area above your vertical scar as either swelling or a small amount of excess skin/fat tissue.  Hope this helps.