I'm concerned because only half of my areola is visible. The other half is inside. (Photo)

I am 5 weeks and 3 days healed. I'm excited and anxious to see how great they feel and look once I'm completely healed. I'm concerned because my left areola is only partially visible. The top part is underneath and I'm afraid the wound will heal before the inside stitches are absorbed. My PS is great and doesn't seem worried. At my last check up he said we may have to do some scar revision.

Areola

Thank you for your question and if you have concerns get second opinions from other experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Timetable of healing

Congrats on your recent surgery! At 5 weeks, you are very early in your healing. The entire process will take 6 months or even longer. A revision can always be done, but I would wait for 6 months to one year at least to see if the areola shape rounds out.

Best of luck.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Concerned about areola

Hi, there.
Your breasts including areolas and incisions will continue to heal and change for next several months.  If you are unhappy with shape and size of the areola in 3-6 months, you will need a revision.  It is great that you are following up with your plastic surgeon.  Communicate with your plastic surgeon about your concern.
Best regards.

Breast reduction surgery

Great question. It sounds like your plastic surgeon is doing a great job of following your progress.  He will be the best to guide you along the full recovery process.  Whatever the final result is he will be able to evaluate and if needed adjust the results.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

I'm concerned because only half of my areola is visible. The other half is inside.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast surgery. You will find that the appearance of the breasts, areola, and scars will change for the course of the next several months and even up to one year.  That will be the time to evaluate the outcome of the surgery and decide whether or not revisionary surgery will be helpful. Best wishes.

Revision surgery

The areola is not really inside, but will stretch out over the next 6 months.  Whatever is not to your liking will need to be revised surgically.

Let it heal

I would let your incisions heal before you make any decisions.  This may take 3-6 months or longer.  Your surgeon will help you for any issues.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Being patient after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. Sorry to learn about your concerns.

The best advice that I can give you is that you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

Areola 5 weeks

Thank you for your question. You may need a scar revision and will likely have to wait a few months longer to completely heal first. Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon and communicate about your options.

All the best

Distorted areola

It is my opinion, that this early in the healing phase you may develop better looking areolas as time passes. I agree with your operating surgeon wait a few months then decide of a small touchup is necessary. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS