My chin implant is placed unevenly. Should I have it corrected?

I had a chin implant done 3 years ago and I have began having some muscular and what appears to be nerve issues on my left side of my mandible in the ramus area. I actually never realized until I was having these issues that the implant is sitting on the side of the jaw line and I can feel it on the inside of my mouth in the vestibule area. On the right side It placed totally different and I can't feel it at all. I am thinking the muscular issues (aches) spasms and tightness is coming from this placement.

Uneven Chin Implant

If you are having issues with an uneven or malpositioned chin implant, I would consider having it removed.  It would be important to know the type of implant (silicone vs medpore vs gortex).  Silicone implants are easily removable while the other types can be quite difficult.  It is important to know how the implant was secured.  If a screw was used, this will be important information.  For all of these reasons, I would suggest that you get a copy of your operative report.  

Another consideration would be to undergo a CT scan to identify the location of the chin implant to verify the placement.  

I would suggest a consultation with a surgeon to help guide you through these many options.

Chin implant placed unevenly

An examination of you would really be needed to determine if your chin implant is placed unevenly and if it might be causing the muscular and nerve issues you are having.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who placed your chin implant so that you can be evaluated in person.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon