Follow-up Question - Is it a bad idea to get re-implanted? Is it a losing battle? Chance it will work this time? (photo)

Last time my breast both extrusion within 2 months of getting BA (Still don't know why, Lab results said no infection/ no growth) I'm so worried about doing it again, but now I really don't like the way they look. my breast have healed. I don't want to go through it again, if it's not going to work. Specially spending more money on it. I have a lot of scar tissue and still have some pain. Is it worth trying again & what is the chance it's going to work this time? How is this going to affect me long term? (mammograms)

Secondary breast augmentation

This is a difficult question to answer. The first question is why did this happen and what will be done differently the second time?   What are your goals with surgery? Can those goals be achieved without an implant, for example a breast lift and/or fat grafting? 

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Secondary breast augmentation

More information is needed, but, from your story and your pictures, this sounds like a difficult case.  Particularly because you may have a tremendous amount of scar build up from the prior attempt.  This could only be determined with a in-person physical exam.  If this is the case, simply sticking an implant in and expecting it to stretch out the scarred down tissue is unrealistic.  I think the bottom line is you need to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon with significant breast surgery experience.  Don't let anyone tell you this is a simple case, because if they describe it as such, they are being too dismissive of what may require difficult skill. 

Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photo. Careful correction of scar tissue and a breast lift may be your first step to improving the appearance of your breasts now. You could consider filling out their shape with breast implants or fat grafting. I recommend that you discuss all options in detail, in person with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Preferably one experienced in the area of reconstruction.

All the best

Breast augmentation

Sorry for your issues. You probably can have surgery without a problem in the future. More information is required to properly assess your situation.

Revising failed breast augmentation

Sorry to hear about your breast augmentation problems.  History does not necessarily repeat itself.  In other words, just because the augmentation failed the first time doesn't mean you can't do it again.  I have had many women like you come from other offices and successfully re-augmented them.  The other option would be to have a lift done to improve the shape of your breasts (which would not involve placing an implant).  Please be sure to seek out a board certified PS who has extensive experience with breast surgery.  If I can help with any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

re implant

I am not sure why you lost your first implants, but infection risk is typically low.  If you still want larger breasts, then getting implants again is reasonable.  

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue with extrusion

This is usually due to infection which may be difficult to diagnose.  If it recurs due to the incorrect treatment, it may occur again.  There are methods (nontraditional) to determine the cause of the problem and if treated, you would probably have success in breast augmentation.  Have you considered fat injection instead?

Susan Kolb, MD