Advised to remove and replace instead of removing and lifting. What is the danger of a lift?

70 yrs old with ruptured Subglandular silicone implants placed in 1979

Lift

If you are healthy then a lfit is ok. Many times I delasy them after implant removal so that empty space where the implant was can collapse first.

Mastopexy with remove and replace of implants?

Remove and replace is safer because it doesn't challenge an already possibly reduced tissue perfusion secondary to the implants being placed on top of the muscle.  In my opinion, if a lift is desired I would wait several months after the remove and replace.  Best of luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Remove and lift

Depending upon your exam, removing your implants and doing a lift may leave you with very small breasts. Your options should be discussed with your plastic surgeon to determine your best course together.

Without seeing you or at least seeing photos, this is a difficult question to answer. First, do you like your present size? What size were you before implants (how much breast tissue do you have?) Are you in good health?

I personally remove and replace lots of implants with mastopexies as breasts do tend to sag with age, but this must be in patients in which it is indicated and in those patients in which I think the nipple/areolar complex will survive.

Removing and replacing implants is an easier procedure to perform with less risk, However, if you wouldn't mind being smaller and you have some sagging, then removal and an uplift could be indicated. It's according to the appearance that you are looking for. If you are a smoker, the mastopexy procedure would be out in my practice. Ask your plastic surgeon for the pros and cons of the procedures.

I hope this has given you some insight on the different aspects of the two options. Good luck..

Dangers in breast lift surgery

There are no dangers to this procedure when left in qualified hands. At 70, I would advise you acquire medical clearance from your primary physician prior to surgery. You may want to consider removing the implant completely and having just a lift. Breast lift surgery has greatly evolved in the past 10yrs. Women in your situation no longer have to settle for mediocre results (implant replacement when a lift is really needed or ugly vertical incisions). Take a look at the attached video to see what can now be achieved without the added cost, risks and complications associated with breast implants.
Best wishes and kind regards,
Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon