How is it going to heal and what will the scarring be like? (photo)

I've recently had gynecomastia surgery. During the operation, my surgeon said I had contracted a blister which has ripped the skin off the top of my niple. I'm just wondering how it is going to heal up and what the scarring will be like?

Managing Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Blister

Thanks for question and photo.  You should be certain to follow up with your doc and follow his or her recommendations on how to care for this area. He or she may want to apply ointments to the area to keep it moist.  It is difficult to say how long it will take to heal as I didn't do the surgery or bandages.

Tim Neavin, MD

Blister On The Nipple After Gynecomastia Surgery

The healing and subsequent scarring will depend on the depth of the injury / blister. Your surgeon can help you with the healing and avoiding any significant scaring. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Some scarring to be expected

I can only comment on the information provided and say that yes you are more than likely to have some scarring in the area above. Though the wound looks very superficial , with proper treatment using scar gel and creams you may only require some cosmetic tattooing to cover the discolouration.
Best Wishes

Benjamin Norris, MbCHb, FRACS(Plast)
Sydney Plastic Surgeon