Am I good candidate for a chin implant? (Photo)

I'm looking to reduce the vertical length of my face and also improve horizontal projection of my chin. The length and "downwards" angle of my face is my biggest concern however, and wouldn't want to make my face any longer (which I've seen chin implants sometimes do) is there a way to make the chin appear more horizontal and shorter with chin implant? I'd rather not go for jaw surgery because of the expense and down time. Would I be able to address my concerns with a chin implant?

Are you a good candidate for a chin implant?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Getting a Strong Chin

You are a great candidate for chin implant or you could try certain fillers such as Radiesse, Voulma, and Perlane give great lift and last a significant amount of time to give structure and shape in this area as a trial run.  I suggest seeking someone who is experienced in this type of injections.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Am I good candidate for a chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Chin implants when "properly" placed create a forward, not vertical, projection of the chin.

The photo also reveals a flat or concave mid face (cheek) which contributes to the creation of the elongated appearing face.  Cheek Augmentation, wit Cheek Implants) can aesthetically improve the cheek area thereby effectively shortening and aesthetically improving the entire face.  I frequently combine Chin and Cheek Augmentation which can be performed in about 1 hour.

Hope this helps.