1 month after Gynecomstia surgery. I still look big. Is now a good indicator of final results?

I had gynecomastia surgery with gladular and tumescent with liposuction 1 month ago now. I have worn the compression garment vest 24/7 now for 4 weeks now. I notice It still looks pretty big. Especially near the lower lateral sides of where the chest ties into the oblique area. I also feel firm lumps on the lower part of chest and certain areas around the nipple area. At 1 month, is this a pretty good indicator of what it will probably look like over all?

If the surgeon did not remove the gland surgically there is a good chance that what you are experiencing is residual #gynecomastia tissue which may entail recurrence in the future. 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

When are Results Noticeable after a Male Breast Reduction

Your incisions will go through a maturation process after #gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Only 1 Month After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi tbailey411,

At one month after surgery you are still relatively early on the healing curve.  The combination of liposuction and excision can sometimes lead to longer swelling time and it is not uncommon to have some fullness in the lower aspect of the chest.  The firmness you feel may be scar tissue if it wasn't there earlier in your recovery. If so, direct massage to that area may help.  I typically tell my patients that final results are to be expected between 4-6 months after surgery.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

1 month after Gyno surgery

I think it takes three months for all of the swelling to resolve. There is still significant swelling and tightness at four weeks after surgery. Hang in there. I recommend massage to any hard areas but you should check with your surgeon.

Too early to judge outcome

At one month things are definitely still swollen and healing.  It will take six months before you see the final results.

Results

Its far too early to get a feel for the final results. You're still swollen and in the process of things changing. It will take up to six months before things start to soften consistently. Even then you can still have some skin retraction for months afterword.

Try to be patient and see it as a process. You'll get there. At your next appointment discuss your progress with your surgeon.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Treatment of gynecomastia

Typically I recommend waiting three months before anyone critically evaluates their gynecomastia treatment. After liposuction you can have for firm areas that are natural response to the liposuction. Please contact your serving as to your aftercare to improve these areas of concern and to address any issues that you may have.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question but it is one to be directed to your surgeon as he knows best what was done

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question.  I advise my patients that it is possible that they can have swelling for up to one year after surgery. You should schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon if you have any concerns about your appearance.  Best wishes. 

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS