1.5 years post op breast augmentation suddenly my right breast has doubled in size?

Had an ultrasound and have found out that my right breast has a lot of fluid around my implant has anyone expirensed this before? Is it normal?

Swelling after breast augmentation

Hi J,

This is not normal, and is called a late seroma. You need to get this checked by ultrasound and some of the fluid sent for lab analysis. The ultrasound should try to remove as much of the fluid as can be done. Sometimes this fixes the problem, but you need to see your surgeon for a full assessment and management. If the fluid persists then unfortunately surgery is likely to be necessary.

Regards, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney 

Late seroma after breast augmentation

Hi. By definition, you have  a "late seroma" - fluid around the breast implant. I would suggest that you see your surgeon and have them evaluate you in terms of both the possible cause, and the management there-of. Some of the fluid will no doubt be aspirated (drawn off) and sent to a lab for further analysis, culture and cytology. Good luck.

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

This is a problem that occurs much more often with textured silicone implants.  Its possible you have a double capsule.  In my practice I've seen this in about 10 patients over 12 years of practice.  When I look inside the pocket I find two breast implant capsules.  It is important that if you have textured implants that the fluid be sent for cytology.  ALCL (Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma), though not a high risk, is a risk and should be ruled out. This topic can be discussed with your surgeon.    

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you see your surgeon for evaluation at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

What you are describing sounds like a seroma.  It is very important that you seek an examination and consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Although it is very rare Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma can occur and is associated with a seroma.  An MRI exam and plastic surgery consultation is very important.