Weight loss for mommy makeover (Photo)

I asked the question yesterday, if I should try and loose weight for the mommy makeover surgery. I'm 5'4 170lbs had 3 c-sections and a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I don't eat unhealthy but have been told I don't eat enough. I want to do a tummy tuck and breast lift with implants. My bra size is currently 34E pants size 36/38. Got nice answers form the dr's but I didn't put photos. So I collected all my nerves and took photos. Regards.
This is a follow-up to an earlier question. Click here to read it.

Mommy make-over

Hello ronelgerber,
Thank you for your question and photos. Ideally it is always great to lose as much weight as possible prior to having surgery. Once you have reached your ultimate goal weight it would then be a great idea to proceed with a tummy tuck. As you loose weight you not only lose the weight but your skin becomes loose. The tummy tuck will not only remove all the excess skin but it will tighten up the abdominal muscles. In regards to your breasts, if your goal is to have "perkier" breast, I would recommend getting a full lift. If you interested in having ore volume, a small implant may be a great option to discuss with your plastic surgeon. Before making any decision, be sure to take advice from a board certified plastic surgeon. Make sure he is family with surgery that involves weight loss. I wish you luck on your search and congratulations on losing the weight!

Dr. Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss for mommy makeover

Thank you for your question and photos regarding a Mommy Makeover.  Ideally, it is good to have your weight close to your own ideal weight and stable before a mommy makeover.  The main reason for this is so that you get an optimal result from your surgery.  If you were to have a tummy tuck and lose a great deal of weight afterwards, it could result in looser skin.  Additionally, if you were to lose weight or gain weight after your breast enhancement surgery, it can affect the overall size.  If you are comfortable with your current weight and are in overall good health, there is no reason you should not be able to have your surgery at this time. A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in body contouring and breast surgery should be able to advice you further.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Weight Control and the Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Weight loss is not necessary for a good result from a mommy makeover.

Not everyone undergoing elective body contour surgery is at the ideal body weight. Heavier patients can expect to get good results and are not required to lose weight prior to the operation.

Losing weight before mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over
And thank you for the helpful photos.

• If you can lose weight and keep it off, you should do so.
  • If you are just going to gain it back - don't.
  • You are heavy but not too heavy to have a mommy-make-over.
  • I do not know who is telling you that you should eat more.
  • Your are significantly overweight for your height.
  • Either you are eating too much and exercising too little - or you have a condition such a low thryoid which is draining your energy.
  • You might see your regular doctor to find out if you should be eating less and exercising more - or if you have a condition that if treated, might help you get healthier. 

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Weight loss prior to makeover?

Thanks for your posting.  Based on the photos you do not appear to be significantly overweight so it would not appear that further weight loss is essential prior to surgery.  However, if you do wish to lose further weight it would be best to reach your stable goal weight before surgery.  I would suggest a consult with a plastic surgeon so they can provide a proper assessment and give you further guidance.

Weight loss for the Mommy Makeover

Thank you for the photos.  It really does help.  It looks like you will be a good candidate for the procedures.  As a general rule, one would like their patient to be within 30 lbs of their goal weight.  The rate of complications, (surgical and anesthesia), is less.  The result usually does not have to be revised as much, (as opposed to someone who had an operation and then lost 60 lbs).  Please speak with your board certified plastic surgeon.  Together you will come up with a good plan. 

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Weight loss for mommy makeover

The best candidate for any surgery would be within 20 lbs. of their ideal weight to ensure the best result. If you are otherwise healthy there should be no reason why you cannot proceed with this surgery. Be sure to consult with a Board Certified surgeon who will advise you of your surgical options.

Weight loss before mommy makeover

You appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck and breast augmentation with breast lift. If you are able to lose some weight before surgery however, you will be an even better candidate and have a nicer cosmetic outcome and lower risk of complications.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Weight loss for mommy makeover

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with mommy makeover surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.