Should I go for a threadlift or a facelift? (Photo)

I have a very droopy face it is more pronounced on the left side of my face than the right. In general I look tired always, can you please suggest a procedure that I can look into.

A Full Facelift Provides Full Results

Thank you for posting photos and for reaching out for advice. Based on your photos, I would recommend a full facelift, probably combined with fillers or microfat grafting, to create a refreshed, rested appearance that looks natural. A thread lift is a minimally-invasive procedure that inserts suspension sutures to raise drooping tissues; it is no longer performed in Canada due to its high complication rate and minimal, if any, long-lasting results. It doesn't actually reposition the tissue, though, and what I have seen are limited results that typically don't last very long. A SMAS facelift, on the other hand, reshapes and elevates the underlying tissue and muscle and produces long-lasting results. Please consult an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon who can explain your options in specific detail. Good luck!

Determining the Facial Procedures Best For You

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. It is possible to #combine #surgeries. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result. The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one #consultation. I invite you to visit PacificCenterPlasticSurgery.com to view a complete list of surgeries commonly performed.

If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives. It is extremely important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Facelift Is Preferable to a Threadlift

While a threadlift may seem like an easier option, as excess skin is merely lifted and sutured into place to give a slight lift to the skin, threadlifts do not last long and I believe you would be disappointed with the results. Although I would need to see you in person to evaluate your facial structure and skin tone, from the photos you provided it does seem that you could benefit greatly from a facelift, as it would help define your jawline and give you a more youthful appearance. A mini lift would be a good choice for you if your primary concerns are the neck and lower face. The surgery is much less invasive and requires less anesthesia. Recovery time is significantly faster than it would be with a full face lift. An eye lift would be a separate procedure. You could have it done at the same time, or schedule it later. Consulting with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon will allow you to explore all of your options and also to ask as many questions you need to alleviate your fears.

Threadlift or Facelift

Hello Madeleine and thank you for your questionThe way you have worded your question tells me that you have some concerns about whether threadlift is going to be sufficient for your concerns.In my many years of experience, theadlifts are not going to give you a satisfactory resolution. The results are short lived and do not address the causes for the face sagging, other than 'hitching up' the skin. And the reason most people go to facelift, is because you need more addressed than just the skin. Layers beneath the skin are sagging as well.I trialled threadlifts some time ago, and gave up using them because, although they look like a quicker, less invasive and cheaper fix, they leave patients dissatisfied.In my practice, by the time most patients sit in my office asking me what they can do about their sagging tired-looking face (just like your situation), they are past the stage where threadlifts would be of any assistance.You need the detailed work that facelift surgery provides to address your concerns.
I hope this answer has been of value for you.

Full facelift delivers full results

Hi and thanks for posting your question and photos.
Oftentimes patients consider minimally invasive procedures hoping for extraordinary results. A traditional facelift procedure delivers the best results when rejuvenating the neck, jawline and midface. The results are far more durable than less invasive techniques such as threadlift.
Recovery for patients that undergo full facelift procedures usually recover from them well and are back to usual daily activities by about 2 weeks post op. At this time all of the stitches are out, most bruising has resolved and there is some (but not a lot) of residual swelling.

Facelift

Thank you for your question.  Traditional facelift techniques typically provide a more reliable result in comparison to less invasive approaches such as the threadlift.  In general, the most important aspect of any facelift technique is that the underlying structures are lifted in a durable manner to provide a natural-appearing and more youthful appearance, without relying on the skin alone to achieve that result.  Commonly, patients undergoing a facelift will also have an eyelid lift (blepharoplasty) performed in order to restore the same rejuvenation for the eyes, in harmony with the mid and lower face.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs. Threadlift

Thank you for the question. The threadlift, and variations on this idea, is essentially and very minimal approach to facelifting that is designed for quicker recovery. These procedures are limited in their efficacy and should only be used in very specific cases (if at all). A true, surgical mini-facelift or facelift will be both more durable and effective in dealing with the sagging in your cheeks and lower face. 

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I go for a threadlift or a facelift?

Thank you for your question.  In general, a facelift will provide a more durable result than a thread lift.  Looking at your photos though, you appear to be a better candidate for a mid facelift and blepharoplasty (eyelid lift).  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Facelift or Thread Lift?

Thank you for your inquiry. I would advise to first consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. From the pictures you provided, you would highly benefit from a facelift as well as some injection fillers and combination skin treatments. Benefits from a facelift include:
  • Correct sagging that occurs in the middle of your face
  • Improve skin tone in the lower quadrant of your face by removing jowls
  • Eliminate the deep creases that have formed below your lower eyelids
  • Eradicate the cavernous pleats that have formed along your nose which extend to the corners of your mouth
Recovery from a facelift procedure varies from person to person. However, most of my patients report that they are able to resume their normal activities after about two weeks following their surgery.

Best of Luck to you.

Facelift

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon and discuss endoscopic midface lifting, which accomplishes a lift of the cheek region creating the appearance of a higher and more well-defined cheekbone. In addition, the nasolabial fold (the deep fold that runs between the cheek and lip) is softened. Overall, this conveys a more youthful facial appearance for patients concerned with the aging that has happened in these facial regions.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon