How safe and neat can the labia be neatened and any gyni offering such treatments in SA?

How safe is labiaplasty?

Labiaplasty has become a very common and popular procedure in the last 5-10 years.  In the hands of a board certified and experienced surgeon, it is a very safe procedure.  The most common procedure is performed on the inner labia when they are protruding.  The clitoral hood is also commonly reduced if it is too redundant.  Be sure to discuss your exact desires with your surgeon before proceeding and make sure they understand what you are looking for. 

Concord Plastic Surgeon

A nice and neat labiaplasty is achieved in the hands of a labiaplasty expert

Labiaplasty experts can be harder to find in some areas more than others. If you are unable to locate an expert nearby, your best course of management is to travel elsewhere for your surgery. Labiaplasty travels well and usually requires a 1-2 day stay after surgery. Check airfare rates to various destinations at different times of the year as travel prices can vary greatly in-season vs off-season.

Labiaplasty is safe

Thank you for sharing.   A labiaplasty procedure is a safe procedure usually performed under local or twilight anesthesia with minor risks in the right hands.  I would be detailed in finding the right surgeon with experience in performing this type of procedure.

"Neat" Labiaplasty

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Making the Labia Neat

Start by finding a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who specializes in female genital plastic surgery and has good before-and-after photos. Choosing the right surgeon is important, since revision surgery can be difficult and expensive.For information about labiaplasty, click on the link below.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  As wth many aspects of aesthetic surgery the final outcome is based on your desired goals while your labiaplasty surgeon can help determine whether your goals are realistic or achievable.  In most cases the labia minora can be reduced to lay below the level of your labia majora but should be proportional with the surrounding tissues.  Though I can not recommend a specific labiaplasty surgeon in SA, use the link below to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who may be of assistance.  Best wishes.