Should I lose weight before my mommy makeover?

Hi I would like to know, I'm 5'4 and 170lb, I had 3 pregnancies and a historectomy 2 years ago. I wear a size 34 E bra (most of it skin) . I want to do a tummy tuck and breast lift with implants, would you sugest that I try and loose weight before I do the surgery. I really need your honest opinion.

Weight Control and the Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

This can't be answered fully without a full history and physical, of course, but I generally discuss the following.  If you can lose the weight in a healthy manner (not just starving yourself), then it is best to do so, and maintain that lower weight in a stable fashion for many months before surgery.   In the end, the best contouring can be done under these circumstances.  Not everyone will be able to get to their "ideal weight", so for those, we are just looking for a stable weight over several months and then a very honest discussion of what realistic results can be expected.  This is another reason I always suggest a full open, honest and clear set of discussions with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon before surgery.
Wishing you all the best.
Garrett A. Wirth, MD, MS, FACS

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Losing weight before a mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

1. If you can lose weight, you will get a much better surgical result.
  2. If you cannot lose weight and you will always be this size, doing a tummy tuck now is probably reasonable.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Ideal Weight Before Mommy Makeover

It depends on how much fat deposits you have in your tummy area. If there are large amounts especially in the deep fat around your inner organs (which can not be treated with a tummy tuck) then yes losing weight is helpful to help you achieve the best shape possible after surgery.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

Weight loss before mommy makeover?

Thanks for your question.  If your weight is higher than usual and you feel that you can lose additional weight and keep it off, generally I would recommend doing this before surgery.  I would recommend a consultation with a plastic surgeon if you are contemplating surgery, to assess your overall health and fitness for surgery in addition to your body weight.

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Whether or not combination surgery should be performed (or whether the procedures should be staged) will depend on many factors, especially safety considerations. Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.

Mommy makeover, weight loss before.

Hard to tell without photos or an exam.  By your description, it seems that you might be a good candidate for the procedures.  As a general rule, one would like their patient to be within 30 lbs of their goal weight. The rate of complications, (surgical and anesthesia), is less. The result usually does not have to be revised as much, (as opposed to someone who had an operation and then lost 60 lbs). Please speak with your board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will come up with a good plan.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Weight loss prior to surgery

You do not need to lose weight prior to surgery to have an excellent result if you are stable and surgeon thinks it is safe.

At 5'4" and 170 lbs. you may benefit from some weight loss prior to your mommy makeover.  However, avoid excessive weight loss or exercise programs that you may not be able to maintain after your surgery.  Remember, proper diet and exercise should be a life style change, not just a temporary fix.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make over

Thanks for your question; it seems that you are a little overweight for your height; without any photos is difficult to establish any diagnosis; if you are stable with that weight you can do a personal evaluation with a plastic surgeon to see if the procedure is indicated.

Kemil Issa, MD