Lumpiness 5 months after lipo, is that normal? (photos)

Please Please Please help. I had liposuction done 5 months ago and I sill have lumpiness. I keep on going back to the surgeon and every time they say give it 3 more months, im now where I should give it 12 months? I went to another Dr that does laser lipo and she said it will not go away, but with laser lipo she can help me. I wish I never had this done :-( I have gone for ultra sound and massage from a physiotherapist but nothing helps. Please help

Lumpiness after liposuction can persist for a number of months.

I understand the concern but one would expect this to continue to improve. It's debatable whether a revision with ultrasound or laser would be of benefit.

Lumpiness after lipo

At 5 months I would not expect a big improvement.  There may be shuttle improvement but judging from your photos I think you may need a revision.  I would wait a full 6 months from the time of surgery and then revisit your original surgeon and get his or her recommendations. If you are not happy with the recommendations then get another opinion but ask lots of questions.  I concur that laser lipo is not any sure thing.  I think the surgeon you choose will make more difference than any fancy machine.  Good luck.

Mary Gingrass, MD

Lumpiness 5 months after lipo, is that normal?

Thank you for your question. After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lumpiness 5 months after Lipo

I am sorry you are experiencing this. The lumps will probably not improve on their own to the extent you would like. Revision surgery may be necessary, although you can try more massage to see if that helps if you are hesitant to undergo another surgery.

You can then return to your surgeon to discuss your concerns at the 12 month mark, as they advised. 

Liposuction

Lumpiness after liposuction even at 5 months can be helped by pressure and massage.  A small touchup w/ a small cannula can be performed as an office procedure after waiting 7-8 months.

Undesirable liposuction results!

It would be best to see someone who is a member of American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery or International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.  They can inform you appropriately and try to help you.

Lumpiness

Thank you for the question and photo. Lumpiness can result from liposuction. You are far enough out from surgery to be evaluated for a revision. Most likely you will need a revision surgery which may involve more liposuction, smoothing and grafting. I feel that adding more technology will not necessarily help except using ultrasound to visualize the fat thickness. This will require a careful exam and evaluation by a Plastic Surgeon to determine your next steps.
A second opinion can often bring some peace of mind.
Good luck.

Lumpy result after liposuction

Thank you so much for your question about your liposuction.

Unfortunately, lumpiness can occur after liposuction and especially in the lower abdomen.
This is because the skin is thin and there are 4 sets of muscles, all pullling in different direction.

Judging from your photo, I doubt that any further liposuction, laser or not, will offer you much improvement.

It will continue to improve - even up to 2 years.
It is usually better to stay with your original surgeon. At times there are areas that can be improved with steroid injections (hard scars) or spot liposuction if there is residual fat.

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!

Contour irregularities are known risk after liposuction. A comparison of your preoperative photos with your current photo may be helpful in providing you with a more accurate assessment of your outcome. Additional healing time may also improve your overall results. I recommend waiting a bit longer before deciding to undergo surgery. Sometimes, it can take up to a year to see the final results. Thank you for sharing your photo and concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

"Lumpiness" or irregularities is a known risk of liposuction. It does take 6 months to see the final result of liposuction. Although I agree that waiting another month will not make all the irregularities smooth out, it may improve some. It is very important to go back to your original surgeon as they are familiar with your before pictures and the specifics of the surgery. If patients have surface irregularities such as indentions from old trauma (ie. scars) or cellulite, these will not go away with liposuction and in fact can become more pronounced after the procedure. Likely your PS is recommending that you wait 12 months as he/she wants you to be fully healed prior to considering more liposuction to the same area. Even if you decide to undergo another procedure with a different PS such as laser liposuction, I would recommend that you do wait at least 6 months from the previous surgery.