I'm a 30 year old female and I'm not satisfied with my breast size (34 Fr) What can be done?

small asymmetrical sagging breasts after delivery. which drastically reduced 2 years ago after my 2 pregnancies/deliveries. I have lost a lot of weight, tried exercises to increase breast size and to correct sagging to no avail. need a solution.

The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue for the first 3 to 4 months! 

Breast Lift

Hi Gisati,
Please put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of the card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical or anchor or areolar incision. If your nipple is above the edge, you could be a candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane. The video below explains the dual plane internal lift. I also attached an article from a peer-reviewed journal to give you an even better idea. I believe the dual plane and implants alone will do it for you, and that you will not need a lift. Be sure to seek a consultation with a BC PS to be sure. See the excellent answer below by Dr. Lawton. All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Breast augmentation

The most sophisticated approach to breast augmentation is through the armpit with a surgical camera (transaxillary endoscopic). Using this modern approach the space can be crafted under direct vision, with virtually no bleeding and no postoperative bruising. Most importantly, the shape of the breast is meticulously created. The other, older methods of insertion are technologically less advanced. Both silicone and saline implants can be placed through the armpit by a surgeon with skill and experience using this approach. The incision in the crease is the oldest method of placing the implants and puts a scar directly on the breast.

A round implant would be a better choice because they move more like breasts. The anatomic implants have a textured surface which makes them feel very unnatural. In addition, there is no benefit to anatomical. There is an X-Ray study that shows the implants from the side at 6 months. Standing, the round and the antomical implants have the same profile. When you lie down however, the anatomical implants do not change, which is unnatural. A round implant will change when you lie down, like a natural breast would.

HP implants, which are a more modern shape than moderate profile implants, fit most women better. They have a more appropriate base diameter and can be made to look very natural or very augmented, depending on where in the range the implants are filled to achieve a particular volume. High profile implants are the first choice in my opinion. I rarely find an indication to use moderate or moderate plus implants. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of volume, and where in the range the implant is filled.

There are many advantages to sub muscular dual plane placement and very many disadvantages to sub glandular placement. I would see no indication to do anything but sub muscular dual plane. Subglandular silicone implant placement is the historical approach to this surgery, and was widely used in the 1960's. The implant edges are more visible, the risk of rippling is higher, the implant is in contact with the non-sterile breast tissue so the risk of infection and capsular contracture is higher. The interface between the breast tissue and the muscle is blurred so the implant interferes with mammography more than sub muscular placement. The blood supply surrounding the implant is worse so the risk of capsular contracture is higher. The support for the implant is less so there is more long term shape abnormalities and sagging. The look of a sub glandular implant is much less appealing than a sub muscular implant. The placement of sub glandular implants makes any subsequent revision surgeries more complicated and less successful. There are no advantages to sub glandular implant placement.

The choice between saline and silicone is one that requires a complex discussion of all of the advantages and disadvantages of both implants. The issues to be considered are safety, density, mobility, rippling, rupture rate, consequences of rupture, detection of rupture, need for follow-up care, cost of follow-up, appearance, feel, sensation of heaviness, radio-density, mammograms, and costs, among other things. There are advantages and disadvantages of both products. The decision will ultimately be up to you based on what is appropriate for your particular situation. Beautiful results can be obtained with either implant.

The best way to determine the size that fits your personal perception of the perfect breast is to try on sizers. This way you can see how they fit on you, how they add to your current volume, and whether they fit your frame. Although the surgeon can guide you, only you will be able to tell what is the right size. Try on sizers. Measuring a diameter and then telling the patient what volume they can have (in high, moderate or moderate plus implants) in my mind is backwards. The patients should be allowed to choose the volume. Then the surgeon carefully considers the base diameter, projection, profile, manufacturer, and fill material that will achieve the patients goals of size as well as qualitative look (natural, intermediate, or bold upper pole fullness or projection), all the while taking into consideration the patient's anatomic features that will affect the outcome. The experience of the surgeon and the degree to which they explain the options to you is of utmost importance. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of implant. Don't let the doctor tell you what would look good on you. They cannot tell what you perceive to be the best size. There is no maximum. That is up to you.

Unhappy with breast size

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation.  Be sure to consult with an experienced certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation would be a good solution for you

That's a good question. Significant weight change and pregnancy can affect your breast size and shape. From the photo you posted, you look like you would be a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery, which will bring back some of the fullness you experienced during pregnancy. For before and after pictures of women similar to you, click on the link below.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon