Can I combine Fat Transfer and Buttock Augmentation including Implants? I want an hourglass figure.

I am 5'5, 130lbs - I have an inverted triangle body shape (not sure on exact measurements) and would like to have an hourglass (or maybe pear) shape. I know that I definitely want butt implants instead of a Brazilian butt lift to augment my buttocks, I want to know if I can combine this with a fat transfer to my hips? as I have heard the implants will only improve projection and not be able to give hourglass figure. Thanks :)

Buttocks Implants and Fat Grafting

Thank you for your pictures.  In my opinion, you can have buttock implants with fat grafting to the hips.

This will provide you the most stable result in the long run. For over 10 years I had practice buttocks augmentation using fat grafts. Although you can achieve good volume of the buttocks with fat grafting IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO ACHIEVE ADEQUATE LONG-TERM PROJECTION WITH FAT GRAFTING ALONE. The goal of all women is to increase buttocks projection. The fat is simply too soft to push the firmer tissues of the buttocks skin out to get the desired projection. The best and most consistent way to get projection is to the use buttocks implants. On the other hand, I have had good success with modest fat grafting to the hips combined with aggressive liposuction of the the waistline.  Hip implants are also a good option depending on the desired hip projection.

The buttocks implants are made of soft solid medical grade silicone. These implants come in various shapes (oval, round), sizes and projections. The procedure is performed as an outpatient procedure. General anesthetic is required. Remember if you're considering buttocks augmentation with implants it is always wise to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with buttocks enhancement.  Best wishes.

Can I combine Fat Transfer and Buttock Augmentation including Implants?

You have great options, and yes they can be combined! Great job in doing that homework. The demand and popularity for buttock enhancement procedures in my practice is through the roof!  It’s allowed me to perfect my technique over the years so that I produce safe, reliable and long-lasting results that will age well with my patients whether it’s using fat only, gummy bear butt implants only, or both.  In the end, it’s important to choose whatever means necessary to achieve your desired goals for size, but more importantly shape!

My patients generally seek to have a perky or curvaceous butt that is shapely, whether they are full-figured and voluptuous or shredded fitness types, and everything in the middle.  If you were gifted with a flat or shapeless butt or acquired it over the years, consider a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does all 3 major types of enhancements to understand all your options.

It’s important to understand that the terms relating to buttock enhancement are not as important as what your specifically tailored plan entails. Often the words Buttock Augmentation, Butt Lift, Brazilian Butt Lift, Buttock Fat Grafting, Buttock Reshaping and so on are used interchangeably.  Get a consultation so that you can best understand what will help you achieve a sexier you.

Fat transfer in conjunction with implants

It is definitely possible to perform at fat transfer in conjunction with implants.

This is not only true for gluteal augmentation but for breast augmentation, facial augmentation or any other area.

Each plastic surgeon will differ on their approach.

This is also very patient specific.

Consult with one or more board-certified plastic surgeon's who have expertise particularly in the placement of gluteal implants.

The final outcome depends significantly on your muscular skeletal structure and fat distribution prior to the procedure.

Things like muscle separation from previous pregnancies skin laxity or intra-abdominal fat can have negative impacts on the potential final outcome.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Buttock augmentation info...not heard elsewhere

In short, a combination of sculpting your waistline with liposuction and augmenting your buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:

Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international,  per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months and/or the projection result was grossly insufficient) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants). Because at least 80+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation.

Depending upon the amount of your current fat reserves and their distribution, you may or may not be a reasonable candidate for fat transfer. If you are wanting to utilize the fat to further augment your buttock/hips in addition to implants, then I caution you against this. The reason being that the fat needs to be placed into the buttock muscles for optimal survival, however, this is exactly where the implant needs to reside and thus risks infection and/or death of the fat. Because of this risk, I frequently avoid fat grafting into a buttock/hip that has an implant. 
More so, the hip area has no good muscle to inject the fat into so survival here is inherently very poor. Bottom line, I highly recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon specialist in buttock augmentation, including implants, to determine what option is best for you. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD