One breast more swollen than the other, is this normal?

I've just had my breast augmentation surgery done three days ago and noticed today that my right breast is more swollen than the left, went for my doctors checkup yesterday and he said its all fine. Has this happened to anyone before as well, I'm freaking out here as I'm thinking this could be a hematoma but there are no other signs of blood clots.

Post-op assymetry

Thank you for your question. It is not abnormal to notice asymmetrical swelling post operative and for several months following breast augmentation. A hematoma cannot be diagnosed without an in-person examination with your plastic surgeon. I suggest that you contact your operating surgeon if you continue to be concerned or notice worsening pain or swelling.
Best of luck with your recovery,

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Post-op assymetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Best of luck with your recovery,

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry shortly after breast augmentation.

Some modest asymmetry due to differential swelling is common after breast augmentation. Significant asymmetry particularly which is accompanied by asymmetric pain should be reported to your surgeon as it may be a hematoma.

Post-Operative Breast Augmentation

After breast augmentation the breasts swell from the trauma of surgery and the tissues become inflamed and edematous. In addition, the implant is putting pressure on the surrounding tissues. There are often sensations such as tightness, burning, sharpness, tearing, and pulling can come and go as the tissues heal and the swelling and inflammation subsides. These sensations are usually more intense or different on one side versus the other. Most often these sensations are due to irritation of nerves in the post-operative period and not any source of concern. You are correct, however, in that excessive tightness, bruising, or swelling may indicate a hematoma or other complication is developing. Continued close follow-up with your surgeon is essential.

Post-Operative Breast Augmentation

One breast more swollen than the other after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question. It is not possible to know if a hematoma is present without an in-person examination. At this point you are in the early phase of the healing process and it is possible that the breasts may have different amounts of swelling. Healing from surgery will take time. In the initial phase after surgery, within the first three months, there is a period of inflammation and scarring that must occur in order for you to heal. The breast implants can appear to be high, not in the right position, oddly shaped, tight/hard along with the accompanying sensations you have described. Over ensuing months these processes will subside and the inflammatory process gives way to scar softening and remodeling. The swelling will start to abate and the breast tissue will relax and accommodate allowing the implants to settle into their desired position. As the implants settle the nipples will appear to lift and the breast fills and begin to take on their more normal appearance. These processes may occur at differing rates so that the breasts may not necessarily "settle" at the same time. I tell my patients that they will not see their results for at least 3-6 months.

At this point I would recommend to be patient and continue in follow up with your plastic surgeon. This will allow you and your surgeon the chance to discuss your concerns and help allay any anxieties you may be experiencing. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Both breasts heal differently

The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result. Keep following your surgeon's post op instructions and heal well and evaluate your result after a few months.

Both breasts heal differently

Swelling

Thank you for your question.  Given that you are only a few days post-op, it come as no surprise that you are experiencing swelling to different extents in your breasts.  This swelling can persist for the months to come.  Please be sure that moving forward, you are following the instructions of your surgeon closely to ensure optimal results.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Swelling

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Asymmetric healing

Yes, it is very common for each breast to heal/drop at a different rate. Keep an eye on things and if they don't improve or get worse then see your surgeon.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Asymmetric healing

My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Its very normal at this early stage of your post operative recovery to notice differences in the size and shape of your breasts.  Your breasts recover from surgery at their own individual rate.  It take can up to three months or so for your swelling to resolve and for your implants to soften, settle and drop.  Its too early to be concerned about your final result.  Continue to follow your surgeons post operative guidelines for the best results.

Swelling

It is quite common to swell differently between sides.  This can be due to differences in the pocket dissection, implants, or soft tissues, especially the size of your muscles and breasts.  Share your concerns with your surgeon, but try to be patient with their recommendations.  

Swelling

Post op recovery

Thank you for the question. You are still early in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to have asymmetrical healing and settling of our breasts during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle so give it more time. It would always be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Post op recovery