Breast augmentation advice: fat transfer VS breast implants for petite 21 year old. Which is better for me?

Hi, I am looking for advice before booking a consultation. I'm 21, 32A, 5.4ft & 114lbs. I would like to enhance my breasts to a full B, most NB that they look & feel natural. Thus, I am interested in fat transfer but I know it is a new procedure & I don't want to waste my money not getting my desired results. My concern with implants is I am petite with minimal breast tissue and I dont want my breast to be hard. I really want my breast to be bigger and have a beautiful natural shape and feel.

If you want less than one cup size increase, then fat grafting may be a reasonable option for you.

Breast Fat transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Breast Surgery

Thank you for the question.  From what you have described, it seems you would benefit more from a breast augmentation with implants.  With fat grafting to the breast, you can only increase your breast size up to a cup, and that is if you have the fat for it.  It seems like you are very thin and do not have much fat excess.  With breast implants there are different types and shapes to help you achieve the look you are looking for.  Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.  Good Luck

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS, MBA
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast Fat Augmentation

Taking into consideration your age, weight and desires a photo of potential fat donor sites would be helpful in giving you advise.  Breast implants are more reliable than fat transfer for more than one cup size breast augmentation. Implants have more longterm issues; fat transfer has more immediate issues and side effects.

Please consult in person with an experiencd Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Breast fat transfer vs augmentation with an implant

• Breast fat transfer is great if you have: realistic expectations for modest augmentation; are accepting that if you want to go bigger a second surgery may be required; that you have fat in other parts of your body; and you have a nice shape to your breast.
  • If you are very petite it may be difficult to find enough fat to give you the fullness that you are looking for.
  • The surgery works well but the amount of fat that survives is variable.  On average you can double the size of your breast at the time of surgery.  About 50-60% of that survives.  Survival is based on several things, but likely most importantly on your surgeon's technique.  It should be meticulous or you will pay and watch a lot of the volume disappear.
  • Make sure that your surgeon does a lot of this type of work.  Not all surgeons have the patience to do it well, even if they are otherwise very good.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt strives to be the best plastic surgeon.  He is one of very few plastic surgeons in Canada with a top 5-star rating on Realself, RateMD, and Ontario Doctor Review.  He is an Assistant Clinical Professor and the Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training for McMaster University.  He serves patients from the GTA including Toronto, Oakville, Mississauga, Georgetown, Brampton, Burlington, Milton, and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Fat transfer

If you are petite then you may not have enough fat to transfer and the worst thing would be creating irregularities at the liposuction sites. If you have isolated areas of fat  - flanks / thighs are often best - you may be a candidate. Best to maybe consult with a PS who can show you 3D results to give you an idea of the sort of volume that can be achieved with fat transfer.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon