Breast augmentation advice: fat transfer VS breast implants for petite 21 year old. Which is better for me?
Doctor Answers 3
Thank you for the question. From what you have described, it seems you would benefit more from a breast augmentation with implants. With fat grafting to the breast, you can only increase your breast size up to a cup, and that is if you have the fat for it. It seems like you are very thin and do not have much fat excess. With breast implants there are different types and shapes to help you achieve the look you are looking for. Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options. Good Luck
Breast Fat Augmentation
Taking into consideration your age, weight and desires a photo of potential fat donor sites would be helpful in giving you advise. Breast implants are more reliable than fat transfer for more than one cup size breast augmentation. Implants have more longterm issues; fat transfer has more immediate issues and side effects.
Please consult in person with an experiencd Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.
Breast fat transfer vs augmentation with an implant
- Breast fat transfer is great if you have: realistic expectations for modest augmentation; are accepting that if you want to go bigger a second surgery may be required; that you have fat in other parts of your body; and you have a nice shape to your breast.
- If you are very petite it may be difficult to find enough fat to give you the fullness that you are looking for.
- The surgery works well but the amount of fat that survives is variable. On average you can double the size of your breast at the time of surgery. About 50-60% of that survives. Survival is based on several things, but likely most importantly on your surgeon's technique. It should be meticulous or you will pay and watch a lot of the volume disappear.
- Make sure that your surgeon does a lot of this type of work. Not all surgeons have the patience to do it well, even if they are otherwise very good.
- Dr Rodger Shortt strives to be the best plastic surgeon. He is one of very few plastic surgeons in Canada with a top 5-star rating on Realself, RateMD, and Ontario Doctor Review. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor and the Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training for McMaster University. He serves patients from the GTA including Toronto, Oakville, Mississauga, Georgetown, Brampton, Burlington, Milton, and Hamilton.
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.