If I were an average patient having an average BA what would be the maintenance programme through your my life? (photo)

I have been wanting sugary for close on 20 years however I was not going to concider it until I had my children. I am 39 and a AA size and now ready to go for surgery but I am so nervous about it. I have three young children, a demanding position at work and I am a dedicated mountain biker. I worry that maintenance is going to impact on my busy life and that because I am a cyclist that it is possibly dangerous for me to get this operation. I also worry about cancer and implants.

Breast augmentation concerns...

Thank you for the thoughtful question; it IS wise of you to think about the longer-term effects of undergoing breast augmentation surgery. 
    Generally speaking, there is no time limit as to when or if you need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you would like to change the size. Some of the potential complications that may arise would be deflation, capsular contracture, bottoming out, or just size change. If you are happy with the size of your breast implants and are having no problems, you do not need to do anything.

Again, good job thinking about long-term concerns… I hope this helps.

Breast Augmentation

Of your concerns, the most important question relates to breast implants and breast cancer.  There is no evidence that the presence of implants increases the chance of developing breast cancer.  Detection of breast cancer with mammograms is still possible.  Once your implants have settled and softened, there is essentially no maintenance involved.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

After recovery, there is very little maintenance for breast augmentation.  You proceed with getting your mammograms and screenings as normally scheduled.  You can return to and enjoy an active lifestyle.  The implants do not need to be replaced unless you are having a specific issue.  I encourage you to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn more.

Camille Cash, MD

Very little maintenance postoperatively in breast augmentation patients.

After recovery there's really not much that needs to be done after breast augmentation. Replacement is only done when clinically necessary. Full athletic lifestyle is permitted.

Breast augmentation is a very safe surgery and has been performed since 1959. Maintenance is very low, but implants can break. The average lifespan of saline implants is 10 to 20 years, but I have seen some at 40 years doing well. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - concerns re risks

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • This is very safe operation -
  • Under muscle implants - the pectoral muscle can affect  the look when you are active
  • Saline implants - will deflate and need replacement every 10 - 20 years
  • Textured gel implants seem to be assocaited with a very very rare cancer
  • There is a 1% risk each year of a capsular contracture (hard internal scar that can make the implant look odd and at times may be painful.
  • Given your photo and life, a small smooth gel implant over the muscle would be a sensible approach.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS