If I were an average patient having an average BA what would be the maintenance programme through your my life? (photo)
Doctor Answers 6
Breast augmentation concerns...
Generally speaking, there is no time limit as to when or if you need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you would like to change the size. Some of the potential complications that may arise would be deflation, capsular contracture, bottoming out, or just size change. If you are happy with the size of your breast implants and are having no problems, you do not need to do anything.
Again, good job thinking about long-term concerns… I hope this helps.
Of your concerns, the most important question relates to breast implants and breast cancer. There is no evidence that the presence of implants increases the chance of developing breast cancer. Detection of breast cancer with mammograms is still possible. Once your implants have settled and softened, there is essentially no maintenance involved.
You might also like...
Very little maintenance postoperatively in breast augmentation patients.
Breast augmentation - concerns re risks
- This is very safe operation -
- Under muscle implants - the pectoral muscle can affect the look when you are active
- Saline implants - will deflate and need replacement every 10 - 20 years
- Textured gel implants seem to be assocaited with a very very rare cancer
- There is a 1% risk each year of a capsular contracture (hard internal scar that can make the implant look odd and at times may be painful.
- Given your photo and life, a small smooth gel implant over the muscle would be a sensible approach.