Sizing - when can I get sized for bras? (Photo)

Hi all I'm 2 weeks post and wondering when I can get sized for bras? I threw out all my bras!! I no I can't wear underwire for 6 weeks. Just wondering when I can get my sizing I'm dying to no what size I'll be!!

Buying bras

You can get sized for a bra around 6 weeks post operatively.  Please know your breasts will still be settling for a few months, so the bras you purchase at 6 weeks may not be as comfortable a few months later, but they should still fit.

Bra Sizing

Best to wait 6 to 8 weeks before getting measured for you new bra.  The settling over this 6 to 8 weeks  will change how the bra is filled and the width of the breast.  Both are important feature in determining the proper bra size.

R. McIntyre Bridges, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Sizing - when can I get sized for bras

I recommend my patients get sized at 6 weeks or later - once the implants settle in and swelling starts to subside more. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Buying bras after a breast augmentation

Congratulations on a nice result.  I would say to stick with sports bras for the first 4 to 6 weeks.  Sports bras are best for you right now, they can stretch and change with you and will not be a waste of money.  By 3 to 6 months you will be able to purchase more expensive bras and your size should be pretty stable.

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Buying bras after a breast augmentation.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

I am so glad you have healed well and have such a nice result.
  • Remember that bra sizes vary with style - the same woman can be a B in one bra, a D in the other.
  • You can buy 1-2 inexpensive bras now.
  • Your shape will change by 6 weeks - buy 2 more then.
  • Don't buy your expensive, final bras for 3-6 months because the breasts will continue to shape during that time.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Bra sizing

From the looks of the current photo I would not expect too much change from hereon out. However that is a guess, so before buying a lot of bras that might not fit in a month, stick with sports bras until about 2 months after surgery.  If there has been no change by then, go shopping.

All the best . 

Sizing - when can I get sized for bras?

This is a great question- best directed to your surgeon. In my practice- I do not encourage a bra shopping until 3-4 wks post-op. I have a special a technique for wound closure that i believe maximizes the scar appearance, that is the basis for my waiting 3-4 weeks to begin bra shopping. 

Allow swelling to subside before buying expensive bra after breast augmentation.

Patient should wait for six weeks after breast augmentation to allow for the significant swelling to resolve before purchasing an expensive bra.

Sizing after breast augmentation

Patients are always so excited to buy new clothes and lingerie after breast augmentation. However, I always encourage my patients to wait 6 weeks before bra sizing since it takes about that long for most of the swelling to go away. However, we all know its hard to resist a good VS sale….just don’t go crazy :)