Do mini-face lifts have to be done under general anesthesia?

Mini lifts can be performed under local anesthesia

Thanks for sharing.  Mini lifts can be performed under local anesthesia and oral sedation (valium tablets) or IV anesthesia.  I feel general anesthesia is alot of anesthesia for this smaller procedure.  I perform mini lifts and even full facelifts under local anesthesia and oral sedation. Make sure your board certified surgeon is comfortable with doing your mini lift under this light sedation.  

Local Anesthesia

Mini-lifts are often performed under local anesthesia.  The sedation can be some pills, some IV medications, or even deeper sedation.  Sedation keeps you from "hearing" the work being performed and the surgery takes time to complete the many details required.

Dr. Denkler

Mini-lift without general anesthesia

Mini-lifts can be done without general anesthesia.  In fact, they can be done with oral sedation and local, or IV sedation and local.  Benefits include less risk (because there is no general anesthesia involved), and lower cost (no fees for anesthesia).  Results and outcomes are no different then under general anesthesia.  I would discuss this option with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Micro Lift: Surgery Under Local Anesthesia

Hello:

You ask an excellent question. Not all mini or micro facelifts have to be performed under general anesthesia. In fact, in my New York City office we have a specialized procedure called the Micro Lift which can be done under local anesthesia. I describe the micro lift as improved look a woman gets when she pulls her hair back in a pony tail. This procedure is a permanent solution to achieve that appearance. This is an excellent option for the following reasons:

1. It is minimally invasive and takes less than an hour in-office

2. It is performed under local anesthesia

3. If you are not a candidate for a full facelift and do not want a long post-surgical recovery.

4. The Micro Lift is quick, safe and has minimal downtime related to recovery.

I am going to include a website link that explains in more detail the benefits of a Micro Lift as well as a video that discusses the procedure in detail. I hope you find this information useful in your decision making process.

I do want to advise you that selecting a board certified facial plastic surgeon is crucial. Board certification matters. You do not want to put your face in the hands of an inexperienced plastic surgeon that is not board certified in facial plastic surgery. Expertise and skill are paramount when you are considering facial surgery. Please feel free to reach out to our New York City office if we can help answer any questions you might have.

Sincerely,

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Mini Facelift Under Local Anesthesia

Mini Facelifts are routinely performed under local anesthesia with mild oral sedation.  The benefits of this are that the patient does not have to undergo general anesthesia, there are no hospital visits, and the cost of the procedure is less because there are no anesthetic fees involved.  Prior to having any surgical procedure, the patient will follow up with their primary physicians for medical clearance, to be evaluated to see if they are candidates for this type of anesthesia.  I would suggest in person consultation with a surgeon specializing in facial cosmetic surgery to see if you are a candidate for a Mini Facelift.  

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini lift anesthesia

photographs are not available. It is important to understand that in many left really has limited application. Patients needing extensive network probably are not good candidates for mini lift nor are people who have heavy folds and creases. Although I do a lot of faceless only a small percentage of my patients are candidates for mini lift. It works well for patients with excellent skin, minimal folds and sagging skin, and no neck problems. Even then I prefer IV sedation for maximum patient comfort and the best results.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Facelift under local anesthesia

A facelift could be safely done under local anesthesia.  In fact, there has been a recent trend to perform more and more of cosmetic procedures under local rather than general anesthesia.  The use of lighter anesthesia improves the safety of the procedure and is usually more comfortable for the patient.

Best wishes!

Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Is general anesthesia needed for a facelift?

The trend for nearly all cosmetic procedures is moving rapidly to non-general anesthesia.  The reasons are many, including - procedures being less expensive and (in a multitude of ways) safer without general anesthesia.  For the right patient, we do full face lift, brow lift, and laser resurfacing with local and tumescent (dilute local) anesthesia only - and those patients have very positive experiences. But, certainly, this is a issue that you will want to discuss with your board-certified facial plastic/cosmetic plastic surgeon.

Anesthesia for Mini-Facelift

Thea.    The nice thing about most Mini-Facelift procedures is you do have options regarding anesthesia because the procedures are shorter and less extensive. Those options include general anesthesia, Local Anesthesia with sedation, or just local anesthesia. I prefer local anesthesia with IV sedation because the patient is comfortable during the surgery, sleeping, but easily arouseable after the operation.  Straight local anesthesia can also be used. Check out the link below to an article I wrote on the subject. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

General anesthesia

In my practice, 90 % of  the facial  procedures are  done under sedation an local  anesthesia.  The patient has an interview with the anesthesiologist  no nurse anesthetist and decided what they prefer.  The procedure can be done in either technique.