What can be done to make my face a bit more symmetrical? (Photo)

I wore braces as an adult for 3+ yrs & I still look "crooked" & bite my right cheek when eating. A dentist said I still have a bad malocclusion & my ortho said that was the best he could do given my particular mouth and that the assymetrical appearance is bc of my facial muscles. My lower right jaw is obviously larger than the left side on an x-ray. A ps said he could put Juvederm into the deep, harsh line btw my nose and mouth on the rt side when I smile to see if that helps. Any opinions?

Facial asymmetry is natural, but you can get more balance through expert filler placement at the bone structure level

Thank you for your question. I understand you wore braces as an adult for several years, and have an issue with your jawbone anatomy, one side being larger than the other. You’ve met with a plastic surgeon in order to discuss this concern about symmetry, and they also suggested that injecting Juvederm could resolve the line that runs from your nose to the outer part of your mouth. You are also asking how to make your face more symmetric.

I can give you some guidance on this, as facial rejuvenation is a large part of my practice and these types of challenges are something we see a lot in our practice. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and I’ve been practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I think it is important to understand that the human face is naturally asymmetric, or as I say, “beautifully imperfect”.

In relation to what your doctor is suggesting, Juvederm is used as a dermal filler, which means that the material is placed into the dermis of the skin in order to soften the appearance of the line. The thing about facial lines, is that people tend to really focus on them with the intention or desire to only fix the lines themselves. However, there is a different way of looking at your face too, and that is by looking at the volume. I would say that the appearance of lines are only a small part of the picture, and they represent the difference in volume.

In our practice, we do a procedure called the Y Lift® that is founded on the idea of “structural volumizing”. The Y Lift® is a non-surgical facelifting procedure that restores structure and volume by injecting a hyaluronic acid filler, such as Juvederm or Voluma, into the deeper structural levels of the face - under the muscle and above the bone.

Many patients come to us with concerns about lines such as yours, otherwise known as the nasolabial fold or parentheses lines. When we do structural volumizing to help balance out the cheeks, jawline, chin, and the angle of the jaw, it is consistently met with great satisfaction among our patients. By addressing the overall structure of the face, rather than just the line, people find that they are more impressed with their results. In fact, they won’t even think of the line as being as significant as it was before as balance becomes closer to the Golden Ratio.

The Golden Ratio (1.6:1) refers to aesthetically pleasing dimensions, derived from Greek culture, that governs balance in nature and aesthetics. I often see people walking around the city looking bloated from having too much filler placed in their faces, or having too large facial implants that they’ve lost angularity and balance in their facial features, and it makes them look off. With the Y Lift®, we try to restore this pleasing and natural-looking balance, and interestingly, we can actually place a large volume of filler in the deeper structures of the face without making people look bloated or swollen, but actually thinner and more defined.

I think this may be another option that would be worthwhile considering and learning more about, because it’s not so much just about the line or the fold, but perhaps the overall proportion of the face. Certainly injecting the nasolabial fold will soften the appearance of the line, but it may not achieve as good a result as you desire, but this is a matter of communication between you and your doctor.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Improving asymmetry with Juvederm

Every persons face has some asymmetry. In particular most faces have a nasolabial crease that is deeper one one side than the other. This can be easily improved (not made "perfect") with a filler such as Juvederm. When the facial muscles are weaker on one side than the other then filler is not able to correct this. It is much more difficult to improve the area when there is a difference with motion but not as much difference at rest. this seems to be the problem in your case. If the line on the right side is corrected for the asymmetry when smiling then you may have more difference when you are not smiling. Please a a plastic surgeon who is proficient in giving fillers (check their photos) as well as surgery so they can give you their best recommendation.

Facial Asymmetry

Your malocclusion issues need to be addressed by a dentist but the soft tissue asymmetry could be corrected with a HA type filler such as Juvederm or Restylane.

John Burns, MD