Would I Be Able to Get Some Sort of Laser Scar Removal Done with This Type of Scar? (photo)

I had a birthmark removed about 15 years ago. I had a skin graft. I think its a hypertrophic scar but I'm not sure. I'm looking to even out the color and get rid of the texture of it. would I be able to get some kind of laser surgery that could help? 

Doctor Answers 3

Fractional co2 laser for burn scars and donor skin graft site scars

There are some clinical studies that support the use of fractional co2 laser for the treatment of burn scars and donor site scars that may improve surface texture. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Scar from birth mark removal

The scar that remains from the skin graft would be difficult to treat. The only possibility might be the Fraxel laser to improve the skin surface and irregularity. I would find a board certified dermatologist in your area who has alot of experience with scars and laser. Only a non-surgical approach should be considered.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Skin graft scar revision

You skin graft scar is not hypertrophic, but the texture and surface irregularity can be lessened using soft tissue expansion, a surgical technique where a balloon is used to create additional normal skin adjacent to the perimeter of your scar.  This can effectively reduce the surface area of your scar.  Check in with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in burn reconstruction for more information.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.