Black and White ink on wrist tattoo. (photo)

I had this tattoo done 5 years ago, i hate it since day 1 the guy who did it told me to cover it with white ink and the tatoo would fade and it would be easy to cover, after that done i decided to get laser done. I had done 12 to 15 sessions and nothing had changed doctor always tell me that i am going to see results next session i am really done trying laser. Would it be possible to get an excision or is there anything else i can do to remove this tattoo? Thank you.

Tattoo Removal -- Pico/Q Switched Laser

Tattoos should be removed with q switched or pico lasers, we will often combine with fractional lasers to help speed the process. If 12-15 sessions has not achieved optimal results, we can treat with CO2 laser which leaves a scar in the shape of the tattoo but removes it. The other option is to do the R20 method and do multiple treatments of the tattoo laser at once, it costs more, and blisters more but speeds up the healing. Please see a laser expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Resistant Black Ink

Thanks for your question. Laser is still your best option, a resection in this region of this size is not an option without a huge skin graft and I doubt you would find a surgeon wanting to do it. If you try non laser methods you will likely scar which will look worse. Here is the likely problem- you have resistant black ink and/or it is deeper than the reach of the laser your provider is using. Not all laser tattoo systems are created equal! There is a BIG range in  peak power which will impact success of clearing a professional tattoo especially. A Ruby laser, such as the Astanza Duality, can get resistant black ink and the Astanza Duality laser has the highest peak power of tattoo removal lasers on the market. I see you are in New Jersey- I did a little digging and found a place in NYC that has the Astanza Trinity (Duality+Eternity systems=the Trinity)- It is City Aesthetics in Lexington ENT on the Upper East Side- so if going into NYC for treatments is an option give them a call. Also there is a chain called Dr. Tattoff- SOME of their locations have both systems- if you go on their website you can enter your zipcode and see if any are closer to you.Best, Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician