Should gumline be even after placing lateral incisor implant crown? (Photo)

Along the gumline, my implant crown is shorter than my natural teeth and the shape is unnatural looking to me. My dentist tried to convince me that the crown had to be short so it wouldn't touch my too much of my gum. I think the crown looks bad and wanted fixed, but she making it seem as though I'm being picky. I understand that veneers would improve the issues with my other front teeth, but shouldn't the crown be improved? If so, how? It makes me upset every time I look at it.

Implant

If that's an implant crown you'd have to see a periodontist, or prosthodontist. They'd have to look at the situation to see if it can be improved.

If it's just a root canaled tooth (sometimes people get confused and call a post an implant) the tooth can be crown lengthened and the crown redone.

Sincerely,
Dr. Reiser

Uneven Gum Line Around Implants

Hello there!  

You are in the world of cosmetic dentistry now.  You are not in the world of general and family dentistry.  So you will need to be more firm with your questions and answers.
1.  If you don't like it, you can have it redone.  Stay strong in your resolve.
2.  Know that family dentists are not artists.  They are solid, reliable reparative dentists.  You do not need to be an artist for that.
3.  Never ever let a new crown be put in your mouth without you seeing it first and OKing the look, feel, bite, color and shape of the new tooth.  Before it is cemented you have access to change.  After you have less.
4.  Again you deserve to be satisfied.  Know that the dentist has not built in time nor fees nor training to have front man-made teeth look invisible with natural God-made teeth on the first go around.  (You will need to work with her.)
5.  Finally if ever you need anterior dental work again, look for a cosmetic dentist through the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, aacd.com.  You will find talented artist DDS / DMD's there.
Good luck...you are welcome to call if you would like one on one help.  Dr. Lerch.

Ridge lap porcelain could be added.

It is possible that the crown could be made with a ridge lap area of porcelain at the gum line to give the illusion that that tooth is longer. This could be flossed underneath fairly easily since it's just a single unit Crown. If the crown can be removed it could be sent back to the lab to have porcelain added in the gingival area.

Douglas Jopling,  DDS
Dallas,  Texas area

Prosthodontist

Dear sakanie:
You are completely correct to want to have your final crown look as close to your natural teeth as possible.  Placing veneers on the other teeth will not help.  It is just like replacing the other, perfectly good tires and wheels on your car in an attempt to match an improperly matched single tire that does not fit your car.  It will only create many more problems.
The best person to see for this is the expert in restorative, cosmetic and implant dentistry call a Prosthodontist.  Just look online for an expert near your.