What is the condition of my hair loss?Would I be a good candidate?Approximately how many grafts & how much would it cost?(photo)

a little about me: -I am a 26 year old male, -have been on finasteride 1 mg for 1 year -id like to lower my hairline to the dotted lines on my face - the area needing transplant looks like its about 1.2++ inches in diameter, on each forehead/temple -how many grafts would that be, if I want it pretty dense, so I can use gell/wax to style my hair without bald spots showing previous answers I have gotten: you are too young to receive hair transplant,not enough hairloss, consider future hair loss

26 Y.O. Male Hair Receding

If I had your situation I would not have a hair transplant. I would certainly not design that hairline; it is very juvenile and it would put you in serious trouble in the coming years when you lose hair behind it. If I had to do something, I would consider increasing density behind the existing hairline, to keep it safer.

You are young, your current hairline is not too high for your age. The hairline drawn will not look natural when you are 50 or 60. If you lose significant hair behind that line, you may not have sufficient donor hair to compensate for it.

I recommend you think twice. 

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

How many grafts

Depending upon the character of your hair (fine vs coarse) it would take between 1300-1800 grafts to fill in the areas shown. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Fill the gutters

I recommend you continuing with finasteride.  As for lowering the hairline it is not a good idea however filling the bilateral gutters with about 1500 grafts would make sense.  Hair transplant is a permanent procedure and it is not good to maintain a juvenile hairline as you get older.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Photos cannot assess if you would be a "good" candidate for surgery. Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.

Photos cannot assess if you would be a "good" candidate for surgery.  Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.  Cost of a surgery would depend on the doctor and the type of procedure.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Losing Hair

It looks like you are losing hair.  The most important thing to do now since you are young is to develop a comprehensive plan with a physician to STOP your hair loss first and then consider REPLACEMENT if you still need it.   CONTROLLING hair loss is the most important first step however because the more you save the less you will need later.  Medical therapy is important, so continue minoxidil and finasteride if you can.  However, my patients have been profoundly improved with BIOCELLULAR therapy which is a combination of PRP and other biologics to STOP hair loss in its tracts.  It's remarkably successful and very safe.   

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant

Hi and thank you for your question.  Based on the images, you would be a good candidate.  I would have to do a hair densitometry to tell you better how many grafts could be extracted.  

Young people tend to have an excellent response to the transplant.  In addition to the transplant, Recommend a long term hair care program such as LLLT, AQ growth factors, minoxidil, and of course propecia.  

Judging from your images, you may need about 2000 + grafts over time.  Meaning, you may need an additional procedure in about 10 years.  Some places charge as little as $5 per graft and as much as $20.  

Good luck!