I am thinking about having a Tummy tuck , but don't know if it would be worth it. Any suggestions? (photos)

I have stretch marks below and above my belly button. I have heard that the stretch marks above my belly button will be brought down. Not sure if it will be worth to have surgery if I'm still going to be covered in stretch marks. Can anything be done to the remaining stretch marks to make them less noticeable? I would love to be able to wear a bikini again .

Stretch marks and tummy tucks

Hi and thank you for your questions and pictures.  Just from the frontal view alone it is difficult to tell for sure, but you do appear to be a candidate for a full tummy tuck.  While a tummy tuck will not eliminate all of your stretch marks, it will definitely remove a majority.  This, together with the overall improvement in your appearance, contour, and waistline will be well "worth it." Best of Luck!

Stretch marks and tummy tucks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am thinking about having a Tummy tuck , but don't know if it would be worth it. Any suggestions?

Having any cosmetic surgery is a vey personal decision only you can make. Yes you are a candidate for Full TT + MR.

If you have adequate skin for a full tummy tuck (most women do after pregnancy), you will find that the stretch marked upper stomach skin suddenly looks much better under tension when it is transferred down below your belly button.  You can simulate this by putting your upper stomach skin under tension and checking how much less visible the stretch marks in the middle of your stomach become.  

Whether you will be comfortable in a bikini will depend on multiple factors such as quality of incision healing and elasticity in your skin but I would expect a significant improvement. If however your belly button surrounding skin cannot be pulled far enough downward toward your pubic area (and in the photo your belly button appears to be somewhat high), you may require a vertical incision that may be visible in a bikini.

Discuss carefully with your ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Is a tummy tuck worth it?

Thank you for your question.  Looking at your photos, you are definitely a candidate for a full tummy tuck.  I see loose skin and a significant amount of stretch marks.  You are correct when you say the stretch marks above your belly button will be pulled down during the surgery, and those will remain after surgery.  The important thing to realize is that the tummy tuck will remove the majority of the stretch marks, and typically ALL of the stretch marks that are below the belly button.

Stretch marks are actual scars, so they will not go away.  Once they occur, the only way to get rid of them is to surgically remove them.

Remember, a tummy tuck does multiple things.  It removes excess droopy abdominal skin, I perform liposuction to the upper abdomen in every tummy tuck so it removes fat, it tightens the abdominal muscles which makes your waist smaller, it tightens the abdominal skin, and it moves the belly button.

You will be thrilled with your results, and I certainly do not think a tummy tuck won't be worth it for you.  Best of luck!

Is a tummy tuck worth it?

Tummy tuck, is it worth it?

Thank you for your pictures. In my opinion, I would recommend liposuction and a mini tummy tuck with umbilical float.  This will improve her abdominal contour but as you mentioned will not rid you of all of your stretch marks. To date, there is no proven treatment for stretch marks. Remember always consult with several board certified plastic surgeons. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck, is it worth it?

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Full tummy tuck

From these photos, you seem to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck and should get a result you are very happy with. A full tummy tuck with liposuction of the waist and flanks would address your areas of concern. If you can get your weight as low as possible before surgery, the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring Surgery for a consultation. Be sure to express your expectations and goals to the surgeon your choose. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

Full tummy tuck

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

Tummy Tuck

It´s my pleasure to answer your question.

You are a candidate for the tummy tuck surgery where the extra skin is going to be removed and the abdominal wall muscles repaired.

Sincerely,

Dr. Aramis Vega
Plastic Surgeon

Aramis Vega, MD

Tummy Tuck

Sincerely,

Dr. Aramis Vega
Plastic Surgeon

Aramis Vega, MD