Solutions for Recessed Chin? (photo)

Dear doctors, I have a recessed chin. My bite is okay so a lower jaw advancement is not an option. I had two (!) genioplasties so far, each with about 3mm advancement. Last time I even had some bone inserted into the labiomental crease to move it forward with the bone. Because of the deepening crease, any further advancement might not be an option. I'm thin so fat cannot be used in the crease, also not fillers, because they're not permanent. Thank you for your suggestions, I hope there's some.

Doctor Answers 3

Chin groove

It sounds like you are most concerned about the "labiomental groove".  Fillers are the easiest method, by far, to correct this - and there are some long lasting ones, like Radiesse, which could work quite nicely here.  Alternatively, even slender people usually have enough fat *somewhere* on there body to get the few cc's needed for a fat transfer to this area.  So, I wouldn't rule out those two possibilities - they might actually be your best bet.

Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 79 reviews

Labiomental crease

Further augmentation of the chin will further deepen the labiomental sulcus(crease) as you have already experienced. There are limits to what plastic surgery can do and still have the patient look natural. The beauty of a chin implant is that it is easy to remove if it is unsatisfactory.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Solutions for recessed chin

If your goal is to just make your chin more prominent, then you could have further augmentation with a chin implant.  If you're trying to also augment your labiomental crease, and you don't want to use an injectable filler, you could possibly have an implant surgically placed under the skin to help.  I would recommend a GoreTex implant for this.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.