Wrong shade of crown, is it worth it to have them replaced?

About two months ago, I had two crowns placed on my maxillary 1st and 2nd molars. The 1st molar has had a root canal, but not the 2nd molar. The shade of both crowns are yellow and much darker than the actual shade of my natural teeth (dentist admitted to ordering wrong shade). I would like to have the crowns replaced. If I asked for replacement of both crowns, would it cause any damage to the underlying tooth structure? I'm trying to weigh the pros & cons of having it replaced. Thanks!

Wrong shade of crown #DrSoftTouch

The upside to having your crowns replaced is that you will feel much better about how they look. The downside is the possibility of nerve damage to the tooth that has not had a root canal. Are your crowns visible when you smile? If so, replacing your crowns could give you a boost in confidence by improving your smile. Ultimately, the choice is yours. I hope this helps! Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

Replacing crown

Hi:

On the tooth there is a root canal already I would not think there would be any damage.  However on the tooth without the root canal, there is always a possiblity of nerve damage due to frequent dental trauma specially in a short period of time.  It is best to check the nerve response before you decide on changing the crown.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Remaking Crowns

The main downside with redoing your crowns is that invariably some more tooth structure is removed. This can cause the tooth that didn't  have root canal therapy to maybe need it. Any drilling on a tooth sensitizes the nerve, though it usually recovers. Depending on your smile, maybe you could just redo the 1st molar since that may be more visible in your smile and that tooth already has had root canal therapy. 

There are more cons than pros

Here are the cons and pros for replacing molar crowns.

Cons: potential of damaging the tooth when removing the existing crowns, more prep might be needed (ie. more reduction of your tooth), not many people will notice the shade mismatch of your upper molars, cost of replacing the crowns (unless the dentist is willing to do them for free).

Pros: it will make you feel better about the shade of your crowns.

Ultimately, it is your decision.  If you don't see yourself being happy with the shade of your current crowns, then it might be worth it in redoing the crowns.  

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist