2 months post op with one breast dropping more quickly than the other. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hi, I'm nearly 8 weeks post op, and my one breast seems to be dropping faster than the other. I was very asymmetric to begin with, and had a lift on one side to correct it for the most part, then 500cc high profile implants. I just wanted to check that things were looking okay for the most part in terms to it dropping faster. Thank you. :)

2 months post op with one breast dropping more quickly than the other. Any suggestions?

As others have stated you are still early in recovery and I would expect the left breast to drop more over the next 2-3 months and be closer to the right side.  You are result looks quite good.

Be sure to follow up with your plastic surgeon and not rely on Internet device. To learn more about combination breast lift and augmentation please read the link below:

Asymmetry and unequal rates of dropping

Thank you for your question!

I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher. Currently, there may be excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45) in both sides, so in time, this will change.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

Also note that even though a breast lift was done to correct some asymmetry that existed in breasts before surgery, it is possible for some asymmetry to after as well. However, it should not be so significant that it detracts from the aesthetics of the breasts.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. Since you are only 8 weeks into recovery, there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.” If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Thank you for your question.  It is common for the implants to settle at a different pace and you will see some asymmetry typically for the first 3 months at least.  If you were asymmetric before then it is also possible you will still see some asymmetry in your final results, but it is still too early to know.  Give yourself 3-6 months to heal and allow your implants to settle and the swelling to go down.  If after 6 months you are still concerned then it would be best to see your surgeon in person to discuss options.  As I said before, I think at this point it is too early to be concerned.

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation and the recovery process you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at aBetterBreast.com.

Best of luck to you.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op with one breast dropping more quickly than the other.

Although I understand your concerns, you will find that online consultants will not be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Your plastic surgeon, after physical examination, will be your best resource. He/she have suggestions regarding additional support on one side versus displacement/massage on the higher side. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.