How long after extended tummy tuck do I have to wait for Mammogram or yearly OB checkup?

I am scheduled for an extended tummy tuck on Monday September 26th, 2016. I have a mammogram and OB yearly check up exactly 2 week after in which there is a 5 hour drive involved to get to. Will I be able to do this or should I reschedule?

Mammogram and OB check up after tummy tuck

I understand that the postoperative period gives patients more down time and they hope to accomplish those things which they otherwise might put off. Mammograms and OB appointments certainly fall in this category. There should be no issue with respect to getting a mammogram. However I would wait on the OB visit until a pelvic exam may be performed without discomfort. In addition, the five-hour drive does pose some concerns. There is a known increase in the risk of DVT formation or blood clots that form in the lower legs after a tummy tuck. Traveling for extended periods of time may also increase this risk. If you do decide to make the trip, please make sure that you are getting out of the vehicle at least once per hour and walking around to keep the circulation flowing. Early walking after tummy tuck is key to preventing this type of complication whether at home or on the road. Thank you for the question and best of luck.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

There is no problem in having a mammo after a TT. The issue is more the 5 hour drive which would increase your chance of a DVT postop the TT. If it is easy to rearrange your appointments this would probably be best. If you take precautions, take breaks , mobilise regularly etc then you could do both but I would discuss this with your PS. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon