Just got FUE Hair Transplants, so when can a person wash my hair? Is right after OK?

Is it safe to wash their hair right after the FUE hair transplant procedure? Do they need to use special shampoo or soap?

Washing after FUE

It is safe to wash your hair after and FUE procedure.  However your washing regimen needs to be very gentle as the grafts are extremely fragile.  I have patients use baby shampoo for 2 weeks after surgery.  I would recommend you also discuss with your hair transplant doctor as everyone has their own postoperative protocols.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Next day

Usually you can wash your hair the next day.  Most doctors offer this at their office.  You follow up the next day for a hair wash.  Some doctors have their own specific regimen so it is always advisable to follow your doctor's instructions.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE Washing after the procedure

I discussed this before. Here was my answer:

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon