Will FUE Hair Transplants leave scabs after the treatment?

Will a person experience bleeding or scabbing after getting FUE hair transplants? Will it scab much, and if so, is it safe to scratch? If the area will scab up, how big will the scabs be?

Scabs after FUE

There will definitely be scabbing after the FUE procedure.  I recommend patients wash their hair daily and this will help the scabs loosen and fall off over the next couple of days. I do not recommend patient scratching their scalp after the procedure.  I recommend they wash their scalp anytime it is itching.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

YES

Yes, you will have scabbing but it all depends on how well you take care of your scalp and follow your doctors post-operative care instructions.  In general it is normal to have some scabbing for one to two weeks.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Will FUE form scabs after the transplant

They say a picture is worth 1000 words, so I have included a patient that was 5 days after FUE to show both the donor area and the recipient area after receiving 800 FUE grafts. 

We started washing the grafts in the first day after the surgery so there were no crusts that ever formed. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabs after FUE Hair Transplant

Yes, You will have scabbing on the entire recipient area after a FUE procedure for a few days.  If hair wash is done properly, you can expect to get rid of scabs in a few days (maximum 8-10).  Transplanted area might itch, but you should avoid scratching it in the first 6 days or you may lose transplanted grafts.

The risk of bleeding is very slim only on the first night after FUE.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon