What should I expect RIGHT AFTER FUE Hair Transplants?

Immediately after getting FUE hair transplants, should a person expect to be functioning normally and be able to go right back to work in the same day? Will there be bleeding, scabbing, throbbing pain? What will a person feel like -- will it be painful? Will they need painkillers?

What to expect right after FUE procedure

Most patients tend to take a few days off due to the fact that we need to shave the scalp on the back of the head (donor zone).  There will be scabbing however there should not really be any throbbing or major pain.  Usually my patients have very mild soreness similar to a sunburn.  This is due to the fact that I used extremely small punches for graft extraction which helps with the healing time of patients.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Basic

There are very good basic questions. You find basic answers here but you really need a discussion with your doctor in detail.

In general, you can return to work the next day.  There will be bleeding and pain so your doctor may prescribe pain medications.  

If you want to see what it may look like, you can see some of my before/after photos taken days after surgery.  Or the link below.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What to expect after an FUE transplant

Most of our FUE patients have little post operative pain. Short of wearing a helmet and going scuba, you can work out, jog or do any exercise you want, even run a marathon in 3 days. Good after care is important s follows:  An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon