Doctor Recommendation for Breast Augmentation Revision

I had a breast augmentation 21 days ago and my surgeon now says that my breast tissue is falling over my implants and the correction is a breast lift.As this problem is due to my original surgeon not providing the proper treatment,I am beginning a search for a new surgeon for the revision.

I am willing to travel on the eastern coast of the US or between Montreal and Toronto in Canada for the most experienced surgeon.I need an idea of cost and experience with this kind of deformity that you have.

Breast augmentation revision recommendations.

I am sorry you are already concerned with your result being unsatisfactory just 21 days after surgery. It truly is too early to assess what things may look like as time goes by and your implants settle, drop, and fill your breast skin brassiere better. It is surprising that your surgeon either did not tell you that this might occur with your pre-operative breast anatomy, or that he did not anticipate the result you are seeing at this point in your recovery. You may well require revision (it seems that your surgeon agrees rather than asking you to be patient with the healing process), and perhaps a new surgeon with more experience is a good idea.

As you can see from the responses, a good many experienced plastic surgeons are vying for your consideration. Nothing wrong with this, but like some of them, I would first caution patience, so that you don't end up with a premature re-operation that fails a second time to meet your expectations! In the meantime, do your research: view websites, read information, and keep asking questions. A minimum of 3 months before re-operation is often recommended--most of us (I am in this group) might wait for 6 months or longer, but assessment of the individual patient is the overriding factor, not an arbitrary period of time.

As for cost, you can expect to pay $8500 for a full breast lift in the Minneapolis area (in our accredited in-office surgical facility); much more on the east coast, and more if the surgeon operates at a hospital or free-standing outpatient hospital-owned surgical center; less if a modified or less-than-full lift is needed. Ask about re-do or touch-up surgical fees and costs, and ask if any other bills are sent by anesthesia providers or surgery centers besides your surgeon's quote. Also ask about who pays for re-operation if you have bleeding. For now, follow your doctor's advice unless all trust has been lost. but please do be patient--things will change! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Droop After Augmentation

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Get a second opinion from a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

You can get a referral from the websites of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery.org) or the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (surgery.org)

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast tissue falling over at 21 days

there are many bits of information missing, but in general tissue stretching and/ or downward massage may allow the implants to drop down beneath the breast tissue particularly if your breasts have not been stretched by weight gain and/or loss ) or by breast feeding. nonetheless a period of wait and see may be in order.  The mastopexy may be the best answer.  For borderline cases ( due to ptosis or sagging) I give the client what percentage of clients like them would choose a secondary procedure to elevate the breast higher over the implant.  I had a recent client with major 3rd degree ptosis in whom I advised simultaneous implant and mastopexy.  she declined advising me that she was not concerned with shape as she could hold them up  in a bra, and she is delighted in the outcome. during augmentation mammaplasty it is even more critical to place the client into a semisitting position with a sizing implant in place to allow not only proper sizing but for optimal positioning of the implant as the space may selectively opened more ( or sewn off) internally before opening and placing the permanent implants.

I am sorry you have had this poor experience.

I am sorry you have had this poor experience.  In Montreal we have wonderful Plastic Surgeons.  Perhaps you should start your search for a reputable plastic surgeon by way of plastic surgery societies in Quebec, Canada, and US.

Chen Lee MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Revision Surgery - Toronto

Hello and thank you for the question.

My recommendation for a breast revision surgeon in the Toronto area is Lawrence Tong, MD. He is an exceptional surgeon along with having exquisite bedside manner. His telephone: (416) 972-0999

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Breast augmentation and breast lift

21 days after breast augmentation is very early after surgery and your breast shape may change and improve significantly over the next 6 weeks or so.   If the breast pockets around the implants are tight, breast massage my help improve both the tightness and shape.  Please give you breast implants time to settle.  I usually advise my paients to wait a minimum of 6 months before considering breast augmentation revision.  There is no harm in waiting and allowing your breasts to better heal.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Drooping breasts after Implants

There are a few causes for breast droop after placing implants. The first is failure of the surgeon to recognize significant droop and recommend correction at the time of augmentation. There are also occasions when the patient pushes the surgeon to avoid a lift, because of a desire to avoid scars or added expense, and then forgets that the lift was advised in the first place. It is sometimes possible to avoid the lift by placing the implants above the muscle so that they fill and enlarge the lower breast pocket without additional scars. Unfortunately, these implants will continue to stretch the breasts. Some patients with minimal droop will be improved with implants alone, but should be advised that a lift may be required in the future.

Early after augmentation, it is common for implants to ride up and out under the pectoralis muscle. These will settle with time and massage. Unless you have severe droop, 21 days post op is too early to assess the need for a lift. I will generally have patients do vigorous massage and use a superior compression band before revision. I would wait 6 months before doing such a revision.

Review of your preop and postop pictures and measurements will help distinguish breast droop that was not addressed and settling.

Karen Vaniver, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Breast revision

This is a common complaint.  Implants are often placed but they in and of themselves do not correct ptosis or sag.  A lift of some sort often is required.  I perform this procedure all the time.  Good luck with your search.  As for the cost, it is difficult to say without an exam and knowing what needs to be done.

Breast Implants - Revision, Secondary Mastopexy, 21 Days Post-Op

HI aztecprincesse in Central Canada,

It's hard to give a price quote without seeing what you look like.  So the first step would be a series of photos (I usually recommend 5 - front, each side, and 45 degrees - from about four feet away and against a plain background.  That would, at least, be a starting point.

But 21 days is a little early.  You'll probably need to wait at least 3 months before proceeding.  At that point, the specific procedure(s) that you need should be clearer.

In terms of finding a surgeon, I generally suggest that you find a board-certified plastic surgeon from surgery dot org.  And you should make contact with a few and be prepared to visit them in person if you need to.  Going from just implants to a procedure that includes a lift is not necessarily a little thing to do.  And get a copy of your pre-operative photos, your operative report and the stickers that indicate exactly which implants you have in now.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Breast augmentation revision

Photos would be helpful to see how severe the drooping over the implant is. Possibly with time the implants will drop and the skin will stretch to the point where it appears acceptable. Otherwise, you may need some sort of lift to tighten the skin.

David E. Kim, MD