What is the lumpiness and hardness after SmartLipo in the abdomen? (photo)

I'm only 2 weeks post op so I understand I have healing to do but I don't understand what is lumpy and hard if the purpose of Lopo is to remove fat? My drains were in until they were dry so I cannot believe it's blood or fluid. I'm hoping one of the docs or someone in the community can answer. Also is there something I should(not) be doing to make it go away? Thanks

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling/Lumps -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. In my practice, I have patients use double compression (foam underneath and full body suit on top), 24/7 for 3-4 weeks and then nightly for another 3-4 weeks. Protocol and post-operative care will vary, I suggest speaking with the performing surgeon. Best, Dr. Emer

What is the lumpiness and hardness after SmartLipo in the abdomen

Thank you for your question. Sometimes it is a part of healing, tissue get hardened and it usually get better or goes away in 3 months. I recommend to continue to wear the garment. Sometimes massage or Venus legacy treatments help to smoothen. Please talk to your PS and he/she will guide you through the process.

What is the source of hardness and lumpiness after lipo

Fluid is produced by the body in the areas treated by liposuction. This is a normal part of the healing process similar to a scab developing over a skin injury. The fluid hardens, then slowly dissolves over time. Massage helps to limit the collection of fluid into large lumps.

What is the lumpiness and hardness after SmartLipo in the abdomen?

Swelling, blood effect. Massages and external ultrasound therapy or even Thermi Smooth  250 Rf sessions can be very effective. But these are at additional fees!

Scar tissue

The lumpiness, numbness and hardness after Smartlipo or other types of liposuction typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. It can take 4-6 months to see your final result. 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #smartlipo #liposuction

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

This will likely resolve with time

first of all, i have never heard of anyone placing drains after Smartlipo!!!

it is not uncommon to get some areas of firmness and lumpiness to touch
after smartlipo. If you were my patient, i would suggest that you massage 
these areas for just a few minutes, twice per day. It can take weeks or even 
months for this to resolve. 
i have not had any patient, that i am aware of, whose areas of firmness have 
not resolved with time. 
you are still very, very early in the healing process, so you need to focus more 
on a 6  month time frame. Often this type of problem will resolve in 
1-2 months but i have seen it take as long as 6 months, so be patient. 

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Hard/Lumpy areas are very common

There is a huge amount of tissue inflammation/swelling after a liposuction procedure. It is very common for people to get hard lumpy areas. The best thing you can do is keep up with your compression as much as possible. Massage is ok too, but really it is just time that will make these hard spots get eventually smaller and smaller until they completely resolve.