Four days away from breast augmentation! What should I do/buy for comfort during recovery? (Photo)

Preparing for a breast augmentation.

There's really not much to do to prepare for breast augmentation. It's a good idea to shower the night before the operation or the day of the procedure. Most  surgeons will provide you with a surgical bra.

Do's and don'ts

If I am counting correctly, your surgery should be today. For the next two weeks, wear loose clothing, preferably button or zip closures. Allow your family to do your chores.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Post-Op comfort

It is always best to review the procedure and post-operative instructions with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

What should I do/buy for comfort during recovery?

You are smart to plan ahead. Your surgeon will have a specific protocol he will want followed so give his office a call for the answer. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Four days away from breast augmentation! What should I do/buy for comfort during recovery?

Thank you for your question and photos. I would recommend consulting your surgeon's office for information based on your discussions with the doctor. for every surgeon its different.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Each surgeon will have their own respective protocol for patient recovery including use of prescription medications, garments, exercises, and restrictions based on your specific procedure. I would recommend reaching out to your surgeon's office for information based on your discussions with the doctor. 

4 days away...

Thanks for your question!  As my colleagues have suggested, you surgeon should provide information that will help you to prepare for surgery.  A few suggestions to consider:

1.  Build your "support team" of family and friends in advance, and discuss with each person how you hope that they can contribute to your recovery.  

2.  Make certain that you address transportation needs, not just for the day of surgery, but also for your first several follow up visits.

3.  Fill your scripts in advance. Consider getting a stool softener to combat constipation related to pain medications and probiotics if you get GI distress from antibiotics.   Consider throat lozenges and chapstick, as well.

4.  Load your fridge with foods easy to digest, low in sodium to limit swelling, and high in protein to aid healing. Make certain that there are plenty of fluids to maintain hydration.  Consider food preparation before surgery.

5.  Prepare 1-2 recovery spaces in your home with pillows for positioning, the TV remote, books, and your computer…  Have batteries and chargers, sports bottles for no spill drinking, and maybe a notepad and pen handy to jot down questions and concerns.  

6.  Set up comfortable sleeping arrangements.

7.  Prepare comfortable clothing that will be easy to change into and out of.  Consider robes and slippers.

8.  Purchase dressing supplies in advance.

9.  Buy bathing supplies in case your surgeon restricts showers and baths.

10.  Prepare the rest of the home by completing other projects: mow the lawn, do the dishes, take care of laundry…

Hope this is helpful!  Best of luck with your surgery!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Post op recovery advice

Everything should be planned and provided by your surgical team and clearly explained to you on the day of surgery just prior and shortly after the procedure - check with your surgeon's office

Taking steps to make recovery easier

Thank you for being proactive!

Please consult with your surgeon on how best to prepare for surgery and recovery and their advice should take precedence over everything you read here.

Before surgery you can prepare your body by staying healthy and taking steps to ease the recovery process.

It is too close to surgery, but if are a smoker, you were supposed to stop 1 month prior to surgery. Smoking a cigarette within the month of the surgery can double your risk of infection. Smoking will also cause delayed wound healing, so it is important to cease smoking for 1 month after surgery as well. If you don’t smoke, then stay away from smokers as second-hand smoke is worse.

If you have children, then have someone ready to take care of them for at least 2 week after surgery as you will be travelling.

If you have a dog, have someone to walk the dog at least for 2 weeks.

Please arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery and accompany you for 24 hours right after surgery – most patients ask a friend to help. So please arrange for someone to travel with you while going and coming back from the surgical facility.

You do not want to have a lot of work waiting for you after surgery, so do them before surgery.

Cook extra food ahead of time, or you can simply order food if you are not recovering at home.

You want to eat healthy food to strengthen your body’s immune system and to enhance the healing processes of your body.

Avoid alcohol few days prior to surgery and after surgery.

Make sure to inform your surgeon of all your medications – natural and pharmaceutical. You may have to stop some medications like aspirin and ibuprofen as then can increase bleeding 2-6 weeks before – ask you surgeon.

Bring loose-fitting clothes that open in the front and comfortable flat shoes that slip on – you will need such clothes while you recover for the 1st week. Also bring warm shawls as you will colder than normal while recovering.

It is recommended that you stay within the vicinity of your surgeon for a few days after your surgery for follow-ups.

It is recommended to frequently follow-up with your surgeon for a few weeks or few months especially until you achieve final results 3-6 months after surgery to make sure you breasts are healing well without complications.

Please note that this information does not serve as instructions for recovery which may include specific details such as avoiding intensive exercise for 6 weeks, taking antibiotics for 1 week, doing breast massages, wearing sports bras, taking pain medications which has to be provided by your surgeon, etc.).

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

A soft pillow, ibuprofen, and...

recognize that soreness is normal, use ibuprofen as a baseline medication, do not use heating pads.  In my practice after augmentation all our patients get lymphatic massages and LOVE them!  In the studies and reviews from my patients it is the experience pre and post care that makes for an EXCELLENT experience.  Capizzi MD is known for our expertise with Mommy Makeovers and implants. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon