Should I keep on compression bra or switch to a bra with less tension? My surgeon just said to keep them supported.

SUPER SENSITIVE boobs and still high and tight.

Sensitivity after breast augmentation should resolve within 3-7 weeks postop.  Your comfort is the most important consideration.  Any Brach can provide support but if you can tolerate a sports bra that provides more support.

Implants and bra

I usually do not  have a specific garment that I tell patients to wear after a breast augmentation. Some surgeons prefer the patients wear a specific garment. Best to ask your surgeon his preferences.

Get directions for use of a post surgical bra from your own surgeon.

This is a question that should be answered specifically by her own surgeon. In my opinion postsurgical bra's are primarily for comfort. As long as the bra delivers comfortable support I would be satisfied if I were your surgeon.

Dressings or Bra After Surgery

Dressing and support will vary from patient to patient. Some patients may be placed in a sports bra; others will wear a stabilizing elastic support strap. Your doctor will decide after surgery and in subsequent weeks, what is necessary for your needs. If you find yourself most comfortable in a sports bra it would be a good idea to use that for support for the time being. Also be sure to attend follow-up appointments with your surgeon to make sure that the healing process is going well. Good luck.

Follow your surgeons advice

You should discuss it with your surgeon . Most of my patient do not wear a bra after surgery unless i see a good reason for it.

Good luck

Bra after surgery

Thanks for your question. Any type of bra which is compressing the breast may not be ideal. Minimizing tension on the incisions is most likely the reason for the recommendation to 'keep them supported'.  However, you should always follow your surgeon's advice.  I usually recommend a soft bra for the first 3 to 4 four weeks after surgery, nothing with an underwire which can rub on the incisions (assuming you have an inframammary incision). Best of luck with your recovery!

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

What type of bra after breast aug?

If your breasts implants are still very high, it may actually be better to go without a bra until they relax into place.  However, you should always follow your surgeon's advice.  Perhaps a soft cotton sports bra would be a good compromise.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Follow your surgeon's advice

Always best to follow your surgeon's advice.  If it is not clear, I would talk with the office staff.  There really is no right or wrong answer.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Surgical bra

I would recommend having your surgeon clarify their post-operative protocols with you because every surgeon has slightly different aftercare instructions which work best for them and their patients. It depends on how far along post operatively you are. If you are at least 3-4 weeks post op, it should be okay to switch to something along the lines of a sports bra and after 6 weeks you can start wearing any type of bra including ones with underwire. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Should I keep on compression bra or switch to a bra with less tension?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; it is best to follow your plastic surgon's "protocol".   Generally speaking, there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. 

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery.  This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.