How far in advance should I start prepping for surgery?

At what stage should I start prepping for surgery. My surgery date is September 30th. I guess it's safe to say that I am a bit anal when it comes to planning and having things organized and in order. I feel a bit anxious. Is there anything that I should start doing now in preparation for surgery?

Prepping for surgery

This is a wonderful question.  There are many things you can do to prepare for your upcoming surgery.  First is to get your body ready by eating healthy.  Get plenty of protein and consider a multi vitamin supplement to ensure you get enough micronutrients.  Discuss your current medications with your doctor to see if any will interfere with surgery or healing.  Some that are avoided are ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, and certain herbal supplements.  Next you can organize any rides you may need.  You'll need a ride home from surgery and potentially a ride for your first follow up appointment as you still may not be able to drive.  If you have small children you may need some help for the first few days depending on their ages.  Some doctors like you to wear a sports bra after surgery, others have one they provide.  Check with your surgeon on their preference. Best of luck on your upcoming surgery!

Getting Ready for Surgery: 1 Month to Go

First of all, I applaud you for being proactive. After your breast augmentation, you'll likely be thanking yourself for the preparations you make now. You can begin by stocking your home with essentials you expect to use after surgery. Moist wipes, loose-fitting button-up shirts (you'll need to avoid lifting your arms over your head), and books, movies, and other diversions are good to have on hand. Make arrangements for help around the house for the first week or so after surgery, since you'll need to rest as much as possible. It's also important to prepare your body. Don't use tobacco products of any kind, get good quality sleep, and eat with a more careful eye toward nutrition. Your surgeon will give you a complete outline of instructions prior to your surgery to help you further prepare. Best of luck to you!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Preop and postop preparation for surgery

It is important to prepare properly prior to and after surgery.  It makes sense you would not purposely take a blood thinner prior to or after surgery.  Some things are obvious while other are less so.  Things such as aspirin, NSAIDS such as ibuprofen should be avoided starting around 10 days prior to the surgery.  Alcohol and caffeine should also be avoided about two weeks prior and two weeks after the surgery.  The less the bruising the less the swelling and firmness of the area operated on.  Dietary wise is best to avoid garlic, onions, ginger, omega 3 fish oil, spicy foods.  This will also diminish bruising of the operated area.  Physical activity should be curbed for two weeks after surgery.  For example if you are moving around a lot using your arms freely, you stand a greater chance of bruising.  I've seen a direct correlation with breast implants internal scar formation with liberal use of the arms.  Right handed individuals tend to use their right side far more than the left and thus I see a higher incidence of internal scar formation on the right breast vs. the left.  If you expect symmetrical breasts the arms have to be used minimally but equally otherwise they will scar differently. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

#plasticsurgery

Hi The.Curlie.Girl. thank you for your excellent question! Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. Each surgical procedure has it's own set of pre operative instructions. Your surgeon's preference and your health history play a role in what goes into your pre operative instructions. Eat a balanced diet, don't smoke, exercise, get plenty of rest.  Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  Very best, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS  Care Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Ready for surgery

You are way too far in advance to start "prepping" for surgery.  Each plastic surgeon has his own protocol for preparation for breast augmentation surgery.  Therefore, it would be best to check with your surgeon to find out.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Getting Ready for Breast Augmentation Surgery

This is something you should discuss with your surgeon or patient coordinator, as each surgeon is different. For my patients, I have a booklet that we give out that has all pre and post operative instructions in it. The main thing I want my patients to be aware of is they must discontinue any blood thinners two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. If you smoke, you need to stop now. Be sure you have someone to take you home after surgery and to stay with you for the first 24 hours. Be sure to get your prescriptions filled prior to surgery and any lab tests results sent to your surgeon. Have clothing that opens in the front. You might want to prepare meals in advance and freeze them. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Surgery preparation

Thank you for your question.The person you really need to ask is your surgeon. Every doctor has different pre and post-operative protocols for their patients. I would make sure you have someone with you to supervise you the first 24 hours and help assist you while you recover or arrange a sitter through the office if they offer that service. Start getting your prescriptions filled and ask your doctor what supplements/medications you should stop taking before surgery, most important are anything with blood thinning agents in it and remain nicotine free for at least 30 days prior to surgery and after surgery. I would also find out if you have to order any garments for post op recovery or if the surgeon provides those.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Prepping for surgery starts at a month out depending on any risk factors that you may have - for instance stopping all smoking or tobacco product use.  Your surgeon's office should supply you with paperwork on what medications to stop, supplements to start, any specialists you need to have clearance for surgery, and how best to prepare your skin and tissues.  Voice your concerns to their office as each surgeon employs different recommendations.  Hope this helps and best wishes.