10 days post op tummy tuck- swollen, movement, pressure. Is this normal?

I am 10 days Post Op- Tummy Tuck and I woke up today super swollen and my belly button was draining more then usual. I have alot of pressure in lower region and it feels like a movement of some sort around in my tummy by belly button ... hard to explain. Is this normal?

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Generally swelling is to be expected after the surgery and lymphatic drainage massage and can be helpful. However it is best to consult this with your surgeon to get a specific advise. 

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

10 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (10 days post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

10 days post tummy tuck?

An evaluation with your surgeon will give you more insight to your symptoms.  I recommend scheduling an appointment for examination and further evaluation.  

Seroma?

Hi.  You might have a fluid collection, called a seroma, that is causing your symptoms.  Best to check in with your surgeon to have it checked out.  Do you have drains?  Are they working?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your surgery!  Without a full series of photographs to offer definite advice, I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation.  Most commonly this is swelling of your tissues after surgery but it would be important to rule out other issues, such as a discrete fluid collection.  Hope this helps.

Fullness...

Thanks for this question. Your description "of movement" and increased pressure with belly button drainage makes me suspicious for a seroma or fluid collection trapped under your skin. I suggest you call your plastic surgeon and tell them your symptoms. You may need a full evaluation today. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Healing process

The lumpiness, burning, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.

Vistnes Plastic Surgery

San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon