Results after Liposuction and MRSA - Aug 17, I had Lipo on ab and flanks by OB/GYN -says he's done this procedure past 10 years.

He says he took 5 pounds of fat. 2 days post Lipo, I had a red, warm area in the bottom right quad and they told me not to worry. After 8th day, lots of pain and hardness, I went to my GP and I was admitted to hosp with MRSA. After 1.5 weeks in hosp and tons of antibiotics, area has decreased, but is really hard with sharp pains. Waiting for ultrasound on 10/6. Wear compression garment faithfully but gives me bad reflux. Stomach looks very fat. Any hope of good results? see new plastic surg soon

Infection after Lipo from OB/GYN- MRSA

Hi smyrna girl

I am so sorry for your situation.  An infection after lipo is uncommon, but it does happen.  MRSA is a serious bug, and a week and a half hospital indicates that you were REALLY sick.

My advice to you is to be sure that you have continuity of care.  By this I mean continue seeing the doctor who diagnosed and treated you.  Next I would return to the OB so that he can weigh in.  I would also recommend that you get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.

My rationale for the second consult is that you will have a lot of swelling and you may not be able to see the extent of the damage caused by the infection.  Hopefully, the antibiotics took out the MRSA before any defects resulted, but to maximize chances of a good result, go to a plastic surgeon- plastic surgeons specialize in complex wounds.

Best to you.

Sek

Let Your Body Heal

I'm sorry for your complications, but it is still too early for your final results. When you can add additional aftercare, I always recommend lymphatic massage, hyperbaric oxygen, compression, and radiofrequency treatments like Velashape and Venus legacy to reduce swelling and improve results. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

MRSA after liposuction

I am very sorry to hear of your severe infection after lipiduction.

Infections can happen but this certainly sounds severe and unusual.

I am sorry your OB surgeons office missed the early signs but really glad your GP took over and saw you cared for.

It will be a long time to see your final result because of the infection - perhaps as long as a year so be as patient as you can. Your new plastic surgeon should be able to tell you more. 

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your MRSA infection and prolonged recovery.  I am glad that you went to see your primary care doctor, however, and received appropriate treatment.  Though it would be important to rule out any abscesses, or collections of pus, the skin and soft tissues will be quite swollen as a result of not only the liposuction but also the infection.  Maintain close follow up with your GP to ensure your infection has completely resolved and allow your results at least 9-12 months to mature before assessing any need for revision.