6 weeks post op and I had aggressive lipo on my abdomen, flanks and back there's a hard lump on my back. Any suggestions?

It gets soft as i message it but it goes back hard a while after. Should I be worried about this?

Lumps After Liposuction -- Ultrashape, Vanquish, ThermiRF, Velashape/venus legacy, Kybella, Z wave

I suggest you see an expert .  Lumps are not normal and it should be evaluated to determine if non invasive treatments will help or if something needs to be drained or treated with medication.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hard mass of back

At six weeks after liposuction a firm mass, in my opinion we usually represent fat necrosis or a dead portion of that fat was not removed. These usually resolve on their own. If they're still present several months later, a small steroid injection will usually ameliorate the situation. A small seroma or resolving hematoma is also possible at this juncture of time. I would go back to your operating plastic surgeon for an exam. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Liposuction - hard lump after 6 weeks

Thank you for asking about your liposucton.

• Lumps can form - although most are largely gone by 6 weeks.
  • Ask your surgeon what it is -
  • Often it is scar tissue -
  • At times a very weak injection of steroid will make them softer and smaller.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Have it examined

It is not possible to tell you what this hard lump may represent without an exam.  It could be a fluid collection (seroma). It could be a hematoma (clotted blood).  Or it could just be swelling.  Some of these may benefit from treatment and others would be expected to resolve on their own.   I would have your surgeon evaluate the lump to see if treatment is indicated.

James D. Frost, MD
Pensacola Plastic Surgeon