Interested in best method to correct aesthetics associated with weak/soft chin. (Photo)

I have a weak/soft chin and as a result I appear to have a double chin. While I've had this double chin since childhood, I've finally had enough and would like to do something about it. I'm currently in my 8th month of braces and thought possibly fixing my overbite would help the issue but recently my Ortho put that dream to rest. My Ortho also recommended job surgery however I am interested in the least avasive option. Please advise!

Chin Implant w/Neck liposuction

Thanks for submitting your photos. In your case your plastic surgeon and an orthodontist should cooperate because sometimes a mandibular or/ and maxillar bone treatment should be done. If this treatment will not be necessary so a chin implant with neck liposuction combined can be performed. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and an Orthodontist.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate for weak chin profile

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessesive chin profile, for which a chin implant can improve.  Chin implants are composed of Silastic, are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through  a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  For more information and many chin implant before and after results, please see the link and the video below

Chin Augmentation

If you are not going to have lower jaw advancement then the next best option is a sliding genioplasty. With your degree of chin shortness moving the bone forward with the attached neck muscle to it would provide the best long-term result.

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Dentist and maxillofacial surgeons do what they trained to do and that is jaw surgery or genioplasty, for your problemThe best option would be rather large chin implant. A smaller,cheaper, less, invasive procedure.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Interested in best method to correct aesthetics associated with weak/soft chin.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 
 I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin Augmentation Options

In reviewing your pictures, the chin is weak on the profile.  A proportional chin can improve facial balance and proportion from the profile and frontal view.  You have 2 options to augment the chin. Option 1-  Custom Chin Implant   With the severe weakness you have in the chin, I would recommend a custom chin implant.  The implants that are "off the shelf" would not be large enough to create the result that you would require.   The surgery is quick and the recovery is rather quick.   Option 2-  Mandibular Advancement In my opinion, this surgery should be reserved with patients with very small chins that would not be a candidate for a chin implant.  This surgery is much more invasive with a longer recovery time that a chin implant.  Both would be good options for your.

Options for enhancing chin and jaw

The least invasive and quickest recovery is an alloplastic chin implant.  It can be done through a very small incision either under the chin or within the mouth. Jaw surgery (genioplasty and/or sagital osteotomies), while carrying greater risk and longer recovery, has the ability to add more projection in general and can also address vertical height. Find a board certified surgeon who you trust to go over what you can expect. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

You appear to be an excellent candidate for chin augmentation. If your occlusion or bite is off then your orthodontist would have recommended jaw surgery.
If however you are not interested in this and your occlusion is not a functional problem then it is reasonable to consider other options.
In my opinion you would get an outstanding result with a chin implant. I would also perform liposuction of the neck and jawline to better contour the area.
I've attached a link with more information about the above. Best of luck with your procedure!