How Can I Smooth out my Visible Fat Grafting on my Nasal Folds

I had fat transfer to nasal folds six years ago. The right side turned out to be amazing. The left side is horrible. My face looks lopsided. You can see the fat all the way from my nose to my lip when I smile and talk. It bothers me so much I can't stand it any more. How can I correct it? My surgeon said it looks like my cheek had fallen since I had the grafting done and should have a face lift. No thanks! My cheeks did not fall after three months of treatment. It looks like an implant.

Doctor Answers 3

Overcorrection with fat grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any method to reduce excess fat grafts in the face, could leave a side effect.  Steroid injections may thin out the fat but could leave a permanent indentation that would require retreating with more fat.  There could also be an enlargement of the fat cells after some time and the treatment may need to be repeated.  Microcannula liposuction may help but could leave an indent or irregular surface.  See a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for a second opinion.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Correcting excess fat from fat grafting to the face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Laser Lipo can be very effective in correcting excess fat in the nasolabial folds and in other places on the face.  A treatment under local anesthesia is likely all you need if in fact excess fat is the issue.

Leif Rogers, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Photos would be helpful

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to address your complaint without seeing photos. You may want to get a second opinion in person.

Fat grafting can be removed via surgery [with difficulty] or possible shrunk with steroid injections.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.