Smooth versus textured Implants: Which is Best?

I am looking at getting a round "gummy bear" implants but don't really understand the difference between a smooth round vs a textured round. A couple of my good friends just got them done and one has smooth while the other has textured. The only difference is, the one that has a smooth implant requires hers to be massaged daily while the textured ones, the doc didn't advise her to do it. Please help! Thank you!

Textured VS. Smooth

In my video, I explain the difference between textured and smooth implants as well as the advantages and disadvanatges of each.

Textured are more adherent

I recommend textured implants over smooth because they are more likely to adhere and not displace. In the sub-pectoral position, the muscle compresses the implant and the implants can extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision. The textured implants are more adhesive and less likely to displace.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Smooth versus textured Implants?

The surface of the outer shell of breast implants can be either smooth or textured. There are pros and cons of each and the best implant for any particular patient depends on many factors including individual anatomy and desired outcome. Smooth implants usually have thinner shells and move more freely in their pocket than their textured counterparts. Many plastic surgeons believe that the thinner shell allows smooth implants to feel more natural. Implants with smooth surfaces are less likely to ripple. Textured implants were designed to lower the risk of capsular contracture, but whether it achieves that is open to debate. The textured implants may have a greater chance of leakage or deflation. One type of implant, known as the anatomical or teardrop-shaped implant ("gummy-bear" or form-stable), is only available with a textured surface, because this surface helps keep these contour shaped implants in position and diminishes the risk of rotation and distortion. Some of the differences of the implant surface characteristics depend on whether the fill material is saline or silicone gel.

Currently, most plastic surgeons in the U.S. prefer smooth implants. You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAP).

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Textured breast implants have less chance of capsular contraction than smooth

Thank you for your important question.  Recent research has documented that textured breast implants are half as likely to cause capsular contraction than are smooth-walled silicone gummy bear implants.

Smooth versus textured breast implants

The outer surface of breast implants has changed over the past 25 years in an attempt to minimize capsular contracture, a hard scar which can form around the implant giving you a deformed shape to the breast. I have had extensive experience with many types of implants and like many other surgeons believe that smooth wall implants provide the most natural feeling and appearance.Textured implants will not easily rotate so if you require atomic shaped implants, otherwise known as teardrop implants, then these may be appropriate for your particular anatomy. I suggest you have a lengthy discussion with your plastic surgeon regarding your goals and expectations.

Andrew Goldberg, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Smooth vs textured

Textured are preferred by most if you are placing the implant above the muscle or using a shaped (tear drop) implant. Smooth are the most common choice if the implant is round and under the muscle. The decision is based on your placement choice, your starting breast and body size, and the type of implant you choose. A board certified plastic surgeon can help you with these choices at your consultation.

Smooth versus textured implants

Certainly each implant will have its pros and cons. The majority of implants use these days are smooth implants. When placed beneath the muscle the likelihood of developing a capsular contracture is just as low with smooth as textured implants. My personal experience has been that textured implants tend to ripple more and you can feel the edge more through your skin. If you are using a teardrop shaped implant the textured implant is more beneficial because it helps stop the implant from rotating.

The other consultants have addressed the difference in the shell between textured (rough) and smooth. There is no best. There is just what works best for you and you will need to seek a consultaion for that answer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Smooth vs Textured

Round, smooth silicone implants are the most common implants used for breast augmentation.  However, more textured implants are being used since the approval of the tear-drop shaped implants.  The shaped implants are textured to prevent movement and rotation.  Most plastic surgeons advise their patient not to massage shaped implants to prevent rotation.  The round implants can be massaged since rotation will not change the shape of the breasts.  I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon for consultation to discuss the other advantages and disadvantages of textured vs smooth.

Eugene Kim, MD

Smooth vs. Textured

The “Gummy Bear” breast implant is a shaped, textured surface implant. This was initially developed when there was a moratorium on the normal implants with the thinking that solid gel implants would be approved by the FDA. Shaped implants have been an advance for breast reconstruction where there is insufficient skin in the upper pole. Since they are a shaped implant they must be held in position. If they turned sideways, it is not a good look. They all these implants in position by putting a coarse textured surface on it that your body grows into like Velcro. I think these implants are very firm and not natural feeling. For breast augmentation I far prefer the smooth silicone implant. This gives a much softer, more natural feeling result.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon