Effects of Smoking on Breast Augmentation Results?

What happens if you still smoke before Breast augmentation? What are the effects on the outcome of the breasts and can I ever smoke again? I've actually quitted in January and have maybe smoke 3 cigarettes since. I am hoping I could still get breast implants.

Smoking Effects on Breast Augmentation

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of  breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend  women  to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants.  Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.

Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased. 

A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.

In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen.On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Smoking affects healing

There is no question that smoking affects healing adversely. Smoking decreases the amount of oxygen in the blood by increasing the carbon monoxide in the bloodstream and by vasoconstriction. There are many more complications with those who smoke and have breast implants such as complications of anesthesia (pneumonia and collapsed lung), so it is a good idea to quit at least 2 weeks prior to surgery. I have also noticed in my practice that many more women get capsular contractures (breast implants that feel hard) when they have been smokers.

Smoking also breaks down collagen, and ages the skin and causes wrinkles much more than those who do not smoke. It makes yo look much older for your age.

Dan Mills, MD

Smoking and surgery

Here are the major points of smoking Tobacco or Marijuana before or after surgery:
1. There is nicotine in tobacco, but not in marijuana. However, most joints are rolled with marijuana and tobacco combination. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to the tissues. This is the major problems that can cause a very bad outcome in some surgeries. In a breast augmentation, there is not a lot of risk as there are not a lot of incisions which decrease blood flow to the tissues. In a breast lift or tummy tuck, on the other hand, there is much longer and more involved incisions. The decrease in blood flow to the tissues in combination with the decrease in blood flow from the nicotine can cause tissue to die. This can cause part of the breast or nipple, or in the case of a tummy tuck, part of the belly tissue to die, resulting in a very bad outcome. Marijuana without tobacco does not cause this problem, or marijuana in an edible fashion.
2. There is carbon monoxide in both tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke. Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of hemoglobin in the blood. This is different from the vasoconstrictor effect, but has the same result of having the risk of tissue death in conjunction with surgeries that decrease the blood flow to tissues such as breast lifts and tummy tucks, as opposed to an augmentation alone that does not decrease blood flow to as great of an extent. Again, edible forms of marijuana do not have smoke, and thus carbon monoxide poisoning.
3. Coughing. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke disrupt the lining of the lungs and bronchi and can lead to coughing episodes. Coughing episodes can lead to internal bleeding after surgery that can lead to hematomas and complications, and again a bad outcome. Again, edible forms of marijuana does not have this effect.
4. Anesthesia effects. Marijuana can have drug interactions with certain anesthetic drugs. Thus it is important to tell your anesthesiologist about your marijuana use.
In conclusion, Smoking, whether it be tobacco or marijuana, is detrimental to your surgery outcome. Edible marijuana is much less so, but be honest about your use with your surgeon and anesthesiologist so that you can have the best outcome.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Effects of smoking on breast augmentation results?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as breast surgery where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to any surgical procedure. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection and wound complications, as well as other health consequences. This one cigarette will likely not impact vascularity, but I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Smoking and Breast Augmentation

Certainly any physician will take any opportunity to encourage patients to stop smoking. The benefits to quitting are numerous indeed. With respect to surgery in particular the issues are airway and healing.

Smoking damages the airway and makes it more difficult to clear secretions which increases the risk of a pulmonary infection.

Nicotine constricts blood vessels which can delay wound healing. While there are some operations for which I insist that patients be free of nicotine for at least 30 days, breast augmentation is not one of them (breast lift and augmentation, on the other hand, is). I do not believe that the literature supports an increase risk of capsular contracture in patients who smoke, 

But still - I would encourage you to stop!

Smoking and breast augmentation

Hi & thank you for your question.
It is best to be off cigarettes and any nicotine product 3 weeks pre and post surgery. Smoking interferes with the healing process and could cause complications. Great job on quitting so far! Best of luck.

Effects of Smoking After Surgery

Great question and thank you for submitting this.  Smoking can have serious detrimental affects to abdominoplasty and breast enhancement procedures.  Smoking can lead to the following problems:
• Risk of infection increases
• Pneumonia
• Tissue death/necrosis
• Poor wound healing
• Abnormal scarring
• Bruising
• Longer recovery
• Decreased Blood circulation
I hope this helps

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Effects of Smoking and Nicotine Use on your Breast Augmentation Results

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that all of my patients stop smoking and using any nicotine containing products at least 2-4 weeks before a breast augmentation procedure as there is no question that smoking and use of nicotine products adversely affects the healing process.  Because smoking causes vasoconstriction, it decreases the amount of oxygen in the blood, and decreases the amount of healthy blood traveling to the body tissues, smoking and use of nicotine can cause wound formation, poor healing, higher rates of capsular contracture, premature aging of the skin, and collagen break down, among many other complications and risks.  

I would recommend discussing your smoking history and any current use of nicotine containing products with your operating surgeon.  I hope this helps and best of luck!

Smoking effects on results

There are a few problems with smoking. Nicotine causes a constriction of your blood vessels, and this decreases the amount of blood your tissues get. Blood carries oxygen and nutrients to feed your tissues - if you don't get these, then you're at a higher risk of losing tissue. Your recovery is also slower, so your incisions may take longer to heal.  Your risk of developing an infection is higher, too. It's better to stop smoking about 2 weeks before your surgery, and 2 weeks afterward, too. But I always recommend that patients take this opportunity to quit altogether.  

Ronald Levine, MD

Smoking and breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Smoking before or after your surgery can increase your risk of developing complications including infection and wound healing problems. I generally ask patients to stop a couple months ahead of surgery and then for a couple months after surgery.