Smoking Before Breast Augmentation Surgery

I am scheduled for breast implant surgery on July 14th, I quit smoking on June 29th and it is so hard so I did smoke 1 cigarette on july 4th and none since will everything be ok?

Smoking and BA

Most experts unanimously agree that smoking increases the rate of breast augmentation surgical complications significantly. Just about all plastic surgeons strongly recommend women to stop smoking and all nicotine products well in advance of breast augmentation with breast implants. Many plastic surgeons recommend stopping all tobacco products several months prior to surgery.
Here is the reason why: the nicotine in cigarettes and other tobacco products (including Nicorette gum, patches, etc) is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it makes the Smoking is a significant multiplier of many potential complications following surgery and breast augmentation with implants are no exception. Nicotine from smoking causes blood vessels to vasoconstrict ( tighten up). Over time, these constricted arteries and capillaries deliver less blood to the breast tissue which is needed for normal healing. Smokers therefore have an increased incidence of higher likelihood of complications such as infection, and in particular capsular contracture (hardening and distortion of the implants). General complications of surgery such as blood clots, anesthetic problems such as pneumonia are also increased.
A scientific article in the Archives of Internal Medicine indicated that, among all forms of surgery, quitting smoking eight weeks prior was never associated with an increased risk of complications.
In young patients you will probably statistically avoid these complications, why tempt fate by increasing your odds that something bad will happen.On a long term basis, smoking also causes accelerated aging of the skin and loss of elasticity. Hopefully these reasons will help give you the will power and courage to stop smoking.

Smoking is a big “problem” when patients undergo procedures that involve flaps, such as facelifting, breast lifting, and tummy tuck surgery. It is of less concern for patients undergoing procedures through small incisions, such as breast augmentation surgery. No doubt, it will still be in your best interests from the incision line healing aspect, pulmonary health status, and overall “healthy lifestyle” standpoints to beat your addiction. Best wishes.

Smoking before breast augmentation surgery?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in such a procedure as a breast augmentation where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Ask Your Surgeon About Smoking Before Breast Augmentation

Cigarette smoke can compromise a patient's recovery because it makes the body weaker against infection and delays wound healing. You should ask your surgeon if smoking that cigarette was okay. Only they would be able to adequately let you know.

Smoking and breast augmentation.

As you can imagine, smoking is bad for breast augmentation, (and surgery in general). When one takes a drag on a cigarette, the chemicals cause vasoconstriction. Wound healing is all about getting blood flow and oxygen to the tissue. I believe that you will find that each doctor may have a different opinion as to how long you need to be off cigarettes. Some will test for nicotine in the system. Best to talk with a board certified plastic surgeon. Also best to quit smoking, (for a variety of other health reasons as well).

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Smoking and Breast Augmentation

I typically recommend the cessation of smoking for one month prior to any elective procedure and for at least 6 weeks following the procedure.  Kenneth Hughes breast augmentation Los Angeles, CA