Incision healing; is all this normal for 5 weeks post-op?

I had a mastopexy with implants almost 5 weeks ago. My right breast has healed nicely but my left breast incisions are not healing well. I have two open wounds still. My surgeon gave me some mupirocin ointment to use but I'm not sure how much it's helping. I truse my surgeon, but is this common and how long will this take to heal? I'm also still experiencing shooting pains and when I wake from sleeping my breasts feel sore and numb. All that normal for 5 weeks post?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Wound after breast lift

Thanks for your inquiry, but without pictures it is impossible to advise in your particular circumstance.  I am glad you trust your surgeon and continue to closely follow up with him/her.

Incision care

Generally speaking most incisions are healed and I let patients shower a couple days after surgery.  It is more complex when the patient has a mastopexy in addition to the augmentation because the breast flaps are slower to heal.  Sometimes there are small areas that we treat with antibiotic ointment and they close over time .  The main concern with an incision that doesn't heal is always possible implant exposure.  If the tissue over the implant is intact and the implant is isolated from the opening then it should heal with time.

Samuel Beran, MD