What am I supposed to do with the open area in the meantime? (photos)

I am almost a month post op I had my surgery on June 3rd the way he stitched me he told me it might open. He is on vacation until I go back on July 12th. I listen to all the doctors and I made an appointment with the nurse to look at it she said it wasn't an infection and it looks like it's healing . She didn't tell me what I can do in the meantime til he comes back?

Incision Care

This may be superficial and hopefully not infected however you should have clear instructions and assessment in person to ensure that you are healing well. I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon's office again.

Take care

What am I supposed to do?

it's impossible to tell from the  photograph whether your wound is superficial or communicates with the implant. You might ask your doctors practice if they can recommend someone for you to get another opinion from.

Patrick Briggs, FRCSI(Plast Surg)
Perth Plastic Surgeon

What am I supposed to do with the open area in the meantime?

Proper wound care such as wet-to-dry saline dressings and topical antibiotics are important to prevent this deep wound from progressing.

Your plastic surgeon has to have coverage and I would call the office insist that the covering plastic surgeon examine you to make certain that she did not develop an infection.

If at any time you have a gush of clear liquid fluid in need to be seen emergently as that could indicate extrusion of the implant.

Local wound care

It looks superficial in the photo. If it is, then often local wound care alone will be fine. If it is deep it may involve the implant. Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Breast augmentation question

Typically for small open areas I ask my patients to cleanse the area with saline  and apply antibiotic ointment and gauze to keep the area clean. Always follow your doctor's advice. I would call the nurse back and ask her how your doctor recommends you care for this area.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

I understand your concern - and you should be - when encountering an open wound in the home. I will agree it does not look infected and is healing well. Keep and eye on it and keep it as sterile as possible until your PS returns. If things start looking worse - ask here again! 

Jaime Perez MD
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa
.

Jaime Perez, MD

Open area

Thanks for your question and photo.  Keep an eye on the area.  From your photo, I would agree that it does not look like an infection and is healing.  Best to follow up with your PS upon his/her return and keep in touch with the office should anything change (i.e. drainage from the area, increased redness or increased pain).  I wish you good luck.

Always best to follow your plastic surgeon or his/her representative's advice; until you are able to do so, I would suggest that you keep the area clean/covered with a nonstick dressing covered by a sterile dressing. Best wishes.

Wound dehiscense

A breakdown of the wound of the incision after an augmentation can be very difficult to treat.  The presence of an implant raises the concern about infection of the prosthesis.  If a wound has opened and the implant has been exposed and become infected, it may need to be removed.  However, if there is a small open area of the wound and the implant is protected by deeper tissue it will heal in most cases.  Unfortunately it may be difficult to differentiate between the two even for an experienced surgeon.  I usually advise patients with a small openeing to apply antibiotic ointment and then possibly surgery if the wound is stalled and doesn't heal.

Samuel Beran, MD