My Smile Looks Crazy After Restylane. Should I Go to the Same Person to Fix It?

im going back on wednesday for a follow up but the girl who injected me said she would add more for free to even it out if it needs it but it looks crazy and I feel like its a bad idea to have the same person fix it after making it look like this =( im really sad because I've always had low self esteem, especially about my lips, but now im even more self conscious about it! I feel like I just want it gone but ill probably have to pay for that!

Doctor Answers 12

Restylane gone wrong

Judging by your photos, the Restylane you had was clearly injected inappropriately.  I would not recommend going back to the same person that injected you.  It is not unusual to have to do some fine tuning after an initial procedure but this is not a matter of fine tuning.  I would consider finding someone experienced in the use of Hyaluronidase to dissolve the Restylane you had done and then starting over a few days or a week later.  Any office you go to and your don't feel abundantly confident in the person that is going to treat you, it is perfectly fine to leave and go somewhere else.  Step one in having any cosmetic procedure done is trusting whomever is doing it.  Good luck.


Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 145 reviews

See a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist

A girl? What training did she have? Was she supervised by a physician? Injectibles may sound easy to a lay person but there is plenty of skill and judgment involved. You need to see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can ascertain how to correct this problem. This is a truly cautionary tale for all the patients out there who respond to MediSpa hype in the belief that it is the same thing at lower cost than services provided by a physician. You are so correct that it will cost you in the end--not only emotionally but in the pocketbook. Sorry to hear about your problem and thanks for publicizing it so others can live and learn!

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Best Way to Correct Poorly Injected Lips

Hi Portland,

I agree that it is a bad idea to have the same injector add more to your lips.  If anything, some of the excess filler should be dissolved.  Make sure that your choose a qualified cosmetic physician for your injections.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Fixing a poorly injected lip with Restylane

You should not go back to whomever injected you with that result. If it was not a licensed medical professional such as a nurse under the direction of a doctor, or a doctor, you should report the situation to your state board of medicine. Hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the filler. Then several weeks later, the filler can be reinjected, better. See a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Why do people continue to go to doctor-less Medi Spas?!

Unfortunately, your filler has not been injected anywhere close to correctly.  The longer I am in practice, the more crazy stuff I see and the old addage continues to be impressed--you will get what you pay for.  Fillers are not an easy thing to do and they can actually be quite risky and do come with a list of potential complications.  When you decide to have such a procedure done, the first thing to do is

A. go to a BOARD CERTIFIED DERMATOLOGIST or PLASTIC SURGEON who spent 12 years learning how to do this stuff. 

B. Don't go to a "girl" who went to a two hour training. 

You are putting your health and your appearance on the line.  If its $50 bucks more to get it done right, then get it done right.

Cheryl Lee Eberting, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

It will get better

The good news is that even if you do nothing this will eventually get better as the Filler is absorbed.  Hyalronidase can be injected that will make it go away faster, or you could have more filler injected to fill out the low spots.  You obviously have a trust issue with your present injector so it would be definitely reasonable to get a second opinion for your own piece of mind.  I would agree that going to a board certified physician at this point would be a good option.

Good luck,

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Don't trust "just anyone" with your lips

The photos posted by this patient clearly show an uneven and inappropriately-injected filler treatment to the lips. I agree that you should avoid seeing the "girl" that injected your lips ever again. In fact, if she's not a physician, you should investigate further to be sure she's not violating state law by providing such services. Unfortunately, these are the types of complications that can be seen when non-experts try their hand at cosmetic medicine.

Always see an experienced, board-certified physician when having any cosmetic treatment performed. Make sure they are a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, and be sure that cosmetic medicine is their specialty. I would highly recommend seeing a qualified physician to have this filler complication treated, rather than "the girl" who initially performed the treatment. I would recommend finding an ASDS member near you by going to their website (American Society for Dermatologic Surgery).

Chad L. Prather, MD
Baton Rouge Dermatologic Surgeon

Go to a doctor

What kind of girl?  injected you. I assume it was not a doctor because you would have addressed her as so. Go see a plastic surgeon, dermatologist, etc..

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

No...Go to a Doctor

You should be seeing an experienced physician for this. It is not worth the savings in money by seeing "a girl". Not that you have this problem, though, I would recommend someone experienced with hyaluonidase. There is a catch 22 here though. An experienced and skilled cosmetic physician, by defnition, may be inexperienced in hayluronidase. If you have not run into problems with fillers, you may never have used it.

My advice would be to find the physician, be it a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, who fixes other doctor's problem cases. They are not only going to be skilled, but familiar with the use of hyaluronidase.

You might ask the girl who deformed your lips who she would recommend to fix them. I am sure she is as eager to have this repaired adroitly as you are. Otherwise, your dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Or a medical school's dermatology or plastic surgery department.

  You should be relieved that the effect is not permanent  and should wear off quicker in the lips than other filler locations.

Good luck.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

My Smile Looks Crazy After Restylane. Should I Go to the Same Person to Fix It?

WOW are you serious not using a physician but just using a "girl"! Guess you will pay triple to correct by a injecting doctor. Why trust a non doctor? Bad thinking on both you and the "girl". From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.